Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cowardly goblins  (Read 1512 times)

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cowardly goblins
« on: October 04, 2011, 01:18:16 am »

Since my military basically consists of a single hammer dwarf (I admit he more or less solos sieges when he gets a chance), I've got a bunch of serrated weapon traps set up in a long corridor followed by some cage traps in case things get past. Last couple of goblin sieges they have more or less lost one or two goblins to the traps, then the remaining 16 (in the last siege) just leg it the hell out of the map. Are goblins usually like this?
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cowardly goblins
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 01:23:35 am »

There's some tag somewhere that makes them cowardly.  Runesmith even reveals the (coward) flag for these invaders, indicating that they run if their leader or sufficient numbers are killed.  I think (don't know) that adding [NO_FEAR] will negate this.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 02:55:15 am »

There's some tag somewhere that makes them cowardly.  Runesmith even reveals the (coward) flag for these invaders, indicating that they run if their leader or sufficient numbers are killed.  I think (don't know) that adding [NO_FEAR] will negate this.

Beware. [NO_FEAR] sieges won't leave until they're all dead. Injured goblins may run away, but [NO_FEAR] goblins won't give a fuck. I know this from experience with the Ferric elves from the FD mod.

This'll all be fun until there's like, two hundred goblins and trolls outside and your single hammer dwarf is sleeping/eating/drinkin'.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 03:14:43 am »

And then it becomes Fun.  You can still allow trolls to fear, though, separate creature file there.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 04:13:18 am »

And then it becomes Fun.  You can still allow trolls to fear, though, separate creature file there.

It becomes an excellent test of your military, too.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 05:45:01 am »

I have solved the problem of the Cowardly goblins pretty well I think :

I have a huge fortress that surrounds the map just a few tiles short of the edge of the map, it has a moat surrounding it (Planning to convert it to a lava moat later on) and 3 Open bridges with a few cage traps behind each to tell me whenever some invasion or thieves are coming for my children (just 1 stolen baby in 35+ years ) , essentially the walls are not for keeping the goblins outside, its for trapping them inside he he he...

My archers does pretty well since they have a few places from where they can pop out and rain fire on the unsuspecting enemy , then when they are weakened my troop of hardened Swordmasters and Speardwarves comes along and pokes the holes bigger ^_^

Thorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 06:13:30 am »

You could trap them inside a long corridor:

Code: [Select]
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
B.......................B
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

• Open both bridges.
  • Goblins move into the corridor.
  • Close right bridge shortly afterwards.
  • Goblins will move on, until they reach the closed right bridge or are in your corridor and keep idling there.
  • Close the first bridge.
  • Put your military behind the second one.
  • Open second bridge.
  • Watch the slaughter, where no goblin can escape!
Thorus likes badgers for their conga lines.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 07:10:03 am »

You can still allow trolls to fear, though, separate creature file there.
I figure out trolls aren't bright enough to fear

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 12:03:54 pm »

Trolls confuse the hell out of me. They seem to have civilian jobs, and they stick around even after sieges are long gone.

In my last fort, after the siege had ravaged Bulwarkdwellings, a bunch of 'em just decided to hang out in my dining hall while my last dwarf stumbled around hopelessly trying to attack them. They even kept running away from her, until she enraged them by punching their teeth out.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 01:02:55 pm »

You can still allow trolls to fear, though, separate creature file there.
I figure out trolls aren't bright enough to fear
The stupid tend to fear more, but don't know what to fear, and what not to fear.

They're probably scared of muffins or someshit.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 11:25:30 am »

Or cooties.

indicating that they run if their leader or sufficient numbers are killed.
Fun story, one of the very first sieges I ever had was ended with a single shot to the leader's heart after which all of them (including the leader as long as he had blood) just ran off. The leader was the only one who died.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 12:02:29 pm »

In my experience they just start legging it when there's nothing left for them to kill. That also includes things they simply can't reach. Which is why a good lockdown is so efficient.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)