Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Enemy Military tactics  (Read 1929 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Enemy Military tactics
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 05:24:52 pm »

But imagine if, suddenly, the Goblins suddenly gained strategical thinking after randomly throwing sieges at you for 10 years straight.
Militia chases a Thief that had snuck past the defenses, but as the Thief gets away, and Ambush suddenly appears. The Militia fights valiantly, but eventually gets killed, all save for one Dwarf, The dwarf goes back in, pulls the lever, and then runs into the Statue-Party.
Militia-survivor: We were almost all killed chasing a Gobbo!
Urist McKenzie: Sounds crazy, lad. Tell me about it!
Militia-Survivor: Well, he was a baby-snatcher, so we followed him out, chasing him away..When suddenly, out of nowhere, this ambush appeared! We fought them off, but then another appeared! And another! It was like..Oh, Armok..
Urist Mckenzie: What is it, lad?
Militia-Survivor: THEY'RE LEARNING! DEAR ARMOK, WE'RE DOOMED! BLAAAAAAH!!!!
Finally, the Militia-Survivor goes into a fell-mood, kills Urist Mckenzie, and makes a Mckenzie-Bone sword, which he then uses to fight off the thousands of Goblin Ambushes that pierce their defenses for the next twenty years, until they discover how to sneak trolls into the Fort.

That's what i was afraid of, that they might start going "hey, you know what? Being funneled into a narrow, trap-ridden hallway, guarded by armored soldiers with covering fire isn't working out so well. To best this enemy, we might actually have to...THINK!".

This might be sheer coincidence, but it's great when you want to tell a good DF war story. 

Is there any way AT ALL to mod the ambushers and thieves to have better tactics? 

Oh, yes. The battle itself was rather amusing. Involved goblins having their eyes bitten out, a soldier who lost a foot and gained a title after going apeshit wild with her iron spear, and Fumbles the militia commander's narrow escape from death.

But i just wanted to check and see whether or not my defenses would soon become even less effective against the green little bastards then they currently are.
Pages: 1 [2]