Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zombies and fortress life in general.  (Read 2841 times)

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombies and fortress life in general.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 03:37:17 pm »

Seriously, I'm pretty sure that's actually what Toady himself said in one of the dialogues. I read 'em, and one of the things he said was that pretty much, the only way to clear the tower for good was to actually kill the Necromancer raising the zombies.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Zombies and fortress life in general.
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 04:10:59 pm »

A raised corpse is only valid if it has a [HEAD] or [GRASP] attached to it.  A headless corpse can be animated, because it has both arms, and the head can roll around on its own as well.  A severed arm can be animated (in fact, Toady's test case was to be an adventuring necromancer who animated his own severed arm and traveled with it) BUT, if new zombies act anything like regular zombies, then they leave no corpse.  "The zombie troll has vanished" is common enough in adventure mode.  If you kill a zombie and the corpse is destroyed, then there's nothing to re-raise, correct?

Also, Toady has said that necromancers can raise corpses that are in coffins, but that most likely when you kill the zombie it will not generate a ghost, because the zombie doesn't have the soul.  I'm thinking this may allow for quantum burial tombs, by having a necromancer behind a bridge.  Lower the bridge, raise corpses, kill corpses, raise bridge, restock coffins, repeat...  Of course, it may still act like "my soul has no coffin assigned" or it may act like "this used to be Urist McPeasant's grave, so we better not re-use it".
Pages: 1 [2]