Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saddest Discoveries *SPOILERS*, probably.  (Read 1946 times)

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
Saddest Discoveries *SPOILERS*, probably.
« on: September 23, 2011, 05:37:55 pm »

So what are some of the things you guys have tried that sadly you just couldn't do? 

For me, I just tried to get an embark zone that overlapped a goblin fortress, and was not able to embark.  So I made it right next door, and still couldn't see the walls.  My plan of holing up outside a goblin fort, making an assault team, and either conquering it or having a good bit of Fun was simply not to be.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: Saddest Discoveries *SPOILERS*, probably.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 05:45:41 pm »

Finding out you can't build constructed walls on a constructed floor, AFTER putting the first layer of roofing over my fort's outer walls.  I was so looking forward to murder holes and a garrison to rain death down on invaders :(.  I guess I could take out select pieces of floor and rebuild them as walls, but I was rather bummed with my finding all the same.

The goblin fort must have been unembarkable for some other reason, as you SHOULD be allowed to embark there.  the goblins will even (usually) be peaceful until your first snatcher or ambush arrives, giving you some time to undermine them, seal the gates, and prepare to cave-in their whole tower... or emerge from the depths clad in candy to slaughter their civ.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 05:47:28 pm »

To embark on a goblin fort I believe you have to use the Embark Anywhere tool which makes the game allow you to embark anywhere you like (hence the name). I don't know if its updated for .25

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 05:49:06 pm »

I feel that I am too noob to be checking out mod tools just yet.  Still, what normally prevents embarking?
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 05:50:29 pm »

mountains and oceans, with no other biomes present, to my knowledge.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 06:05:28 pm »

: /  Further testing shows that when I enlarge the embark area to include the walls of a fort, it goes gray.  Even if embarkable lands are also present.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 06:08:53 pm »

well, so much for that theory.  I'd never tried to embark on a dark goblin fortress, but I'd heard of it being done.

EDIT: I just double-checked... yes, it appears to be impossible to embark on a city of any kind (human, goblin, elven -- presumably dwarven) in the current version with no special setup.  the city name appears in red and embark is grayed out.

I did find a terrifying glacier with a volcano, but that;s for another time
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 06:14:55 pm by Tevish Szat »

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 06:20:27 pm »

To embark on a goblin fort I believe you have to use the Embark Anywhere tool which makes the game allow you to embark anywhere you like (hence the name). I don't know if its updated for .25
Dfusion can do that but it makes all non-nobles hostile.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 06:34:10 pm »

For me, the saddest discovery was finding that tame animals which died from falling couldn't be butchered.

I found this out after dropping several dozen assorted domestic animals ten Z-levels.

It was also one of the more hilarious moments.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 07:22:27 pm »

finding that dwarven, goblin and elven settlements are bugged so they exist, but with no buildings/citizens :(
fixed next release, I believe

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 07:24:18 pm »

Goblins and elves still don't have cities in this release as far as I've heard, although they might live in human ones. Dunno about dwarves.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 09:01:42 pm »

Goblins and elves still don't have cities in this release as far as I've heard, although they might live in human ones. Dunno about dwarves.
You can mod them to have forts towns and cities however.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 11:39:39 am »

finding that dwarven, goblin and elven settlements are bugged so they exist, but with no buildings/citizens :(

No, not at all.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 12:40:55 pm »

Finding out you can't build constructed walls on a constructed floor, AFTER putting the first layer of roofing over my fort's outer walls.  I was so looking forward to murder holes and a garrison to rain death down on invaders :(.  I guess I could take out select pieces of floor and rebuild them as walls, but I was rather bummed with my finding all the same

Yeah this was pretty sad to find when I make my aboveground towns. It makes the process a bit more time-consuming as I have to either remember to omit the spots for future walls, or just roof it all then remove the floor tiles and then put the walls up.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 03:03:14 pm »

No, not at all.
Are you certain? I thought Toady had said at some point that dwarves and elves would be getting human style cities for now until they get their own variants.

Regardless, it's easy to mod it so they do.