Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Skyrim's Dragon disappointment thread  (Read 5484 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Skyrim's Dragon disappointment thread
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2011, 06:55:09 am »

I don't think it'd be too much for them to have something being calculated in the background for them to enter cities. As is, people in Oblivion can move between areas, so dragons prolly could, and having them in a city can raise an event flag or something.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2011, 08:13:09 am »

Seriously, they're like deer over there. Can't drive twenty miles without another damn wyvern running across the road in front of you.
I know I accidently hit one with my car the other day, bloody bugger just smirked and skampered off. I had to pay a lot of money to get my car fixed.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2011, 08:19:03 am »

Oh come on, these things are supposed to be able to attack ANYTHING in the game, just like any wild animal.  The thing that separates these from ordinary wild animals is that they fly and are super-awesomely strong.  They can attack the strongest city or stronghold or whatever in the entire game, and chances are, without the player's or some high level character's help, the dragon could win.
I thought it was confirmed that the cities would have loading screens at their entrances? If so I really wonder how they'll keep continuity.
Haven't you heard? The guards said they closed the city gates so that dragons can't get in. Makes perfect sense.
Yes. Because a dragon can't just fly over the city walls. Makes perfect sense :)

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2011, 09:08:40 am »

While I do enjoy the thought of every dragon fight being this epic, Tolkien-esque struggle against a living, breathing legend,  it would also put some severe restrictions and artificial barriers upon the game itself.

Instead of a world where they're part of a natural habitat, and a slowly regenerating  (depending on thier gestation cycle and lifestyle) species of wildlife,  you'd be saying  "There are only _____ of these creatures in the world.  Thats it.  No more.  Theres no natural way for these creatures to reproduce."   ...and after you kill them... thats it.  No more dragons.  At all.

As far as immersion goes,  i'd honestly have a hard time swallowing that. 

....though on the other hand,  i'd also have a hard time believing that there can be more than 1 of these creatures within 50-100 miles of each other,  with as territorial and predatory as they seem in the gameplay videos.

It'll be interesting to see how they balance this out....   I want to fight some dragons,  but at the same time..  I don't want them to show up every 5 minutes at a time like the wolf-spam from Oblivion.

Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2011, 09:50:32 am »

FYI Black Dragons in the Elder Scrolls lore are actually more like Angels than Tolkien-esque "Dragons". Unfortunately, the god they serve has decided he wants to eat time again so they descend and aren't exactly playing nice...

For example, they can not breath fire. Instead, they say "Fire" and the universe knows better than to not listen to them. The PC is one who can also learn the words of power and uses them to bend the universe to their will in the same way ^^
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:56:10 am by MorleyDev »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 09:59:38 am »

Doesn't that put them on Vivec's tier? So they basically know the console commands?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 2 [3]