Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Order the Engrave memorial slab names list by order of death  (Read 2600 times)

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Order the Engrave memorial slab names list by order of death
« on: September 16, 2011, 12:29:37 pm »

when a dwarf dies it's sometimes hard to remember who died and who you have and haven't engraved a memorial for (or coffin or whatnot).  I am suggesting that when engraving a memorial slab in the craftsdwarf workshop, that the dwarf's name list be organized, from top to bottom based on when the dwarf died.  Putting the most recent death on the top of the list and the first death on the bottom of the list.  this would make engraving memorial slabs much easier and require less name memorization and such.   

Pelander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Order the Engrave memorial slab names list by order of death
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 02:07:43 pm »

It would be nice to have *all* dwarf lists sortable by different means. Alphabetical would be useful when you're looking for that one dwarf for a room assignment.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 05:34:45 am »

and searchable.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 12:35:42 pm »

Lord yes, to all of the above, but barring a complete list redesign (which I'd wholeheartedly support), this seems like a good interim solution.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 03:38:14 pm »

Filtering would be even better - say, for instance, a list option saying something akin to "only show dead creatures who have not been memorialized or buried". Though I guess that might be a bit too much.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 04:29:05 pm »

Filtering would be even better - say, for instance, a list option saying something akin to "only show dead creatures who have not been memorialized or buried". Though I guess that might be a bit too much.

That's the most important part, in my mind.  The only time most players even bother looking up what hotkey is for slabs is if they have a ghost due to unrecoverable body, so putting unburied/unmemorialised dwarves at the top of the list (Heck, the ENTIRETY of the list, does anyone even memorialise non-ghosts?), would cut out 90% of the time spent making memorial slabs.

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 06:33:05 pm »

That's the most important part, in my mind.  The only time most players even bother looking up what hotkey is for slabs is if they have a ghost due to unrecoverable body, so putting unburied/unmemorialised dwarves at the top of the list (Heck, the ENTIRETY of the list, does anyone even memorialise non-ghosts?), would cut out 90% of the time spent making memorial slabs.

Well, there may be that badass swordsdwarf you want to make an epic tomb for, or a kind of veterans' hall.
Even if an unreachable/non-memorialized dwarf was distinguished with a different colour or something, it would be a plus.
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 07:34:50 pm »

Maybe there could be an option "repeat for all deceased" so when something dies, UristMcCrafty will go off and merrily prepare their grave.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 02:44:00 pm »

WOW,just had an idea now,custom filters!
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 03:35:47 pm »

I second all the ideas posted in this thread so far.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 07:00:18 pm »

I think a list with a color difference between interred and non-interred dwarfs should be enough. Since haunting and ghosts are part of the game play, you don't really want the player to avoid them altogether, while giving the the chance to avoid them should they bother to choose to look.
..because making sense and having FUN are not mutually exclusive.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 11:14:50 am »

Yes please, to all suggestions in this thread. The engrave slab list is somewhat unwieldy. Perhaps also a good idea to mention in the list how many slabs have been engraved already to each name.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.