Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help : aboveground fortresses  (Read 1504 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Help : aboveground fortresses
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 03:35:01 pm »

OK, I'll assume you're willing to get stone from underground.

I'd suggest you either get a flat embark with a lot of soil layers and z-levels in the sky, or a mountain embark with a place you can put a nice settlement. Dig a moat or build a wall around your settlement, preferably dry.

You'll want to have a large number of masons and carpenters to put up houses. Once you have your embark walled or moated off you'll be reasonably safe.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help : aboveground fortresses
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 04:10:31 pm »

CHOPPITY CHOP CHOP down trees!!! Hack down LOTS of trees to make suitably-sized (i.e. 3x4 floor tiles or more) wooden cabins, cabinets, chests, beds, chairs, tables, training weapons, x-bows+bolts, etc.

DIGGITY DIG DIG for clay & metal(s)!!! The clay (if any) can be used in place of wood if trees are scarce or rarer1. The metal is VITAL for defense!!!

BUILDITY BUILD BUILD your walls!!! If you don't do this, you'll face a quick (but not necessarily painless) fortress death. Be sure to leave room for migrants and the caravans to get in.

DEFENDITY DEFEND DEFEND your castle!!! See how long you can last...

1Keep in mind that while woodcutting skills can be trained, hauling cannot. So your (unlikely as hell) Legendary 5+ woodcutter can easily gather more wood than your untrainable clay haulers.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 04:20:10 pm by UristMcHuman »
Pages: 1 [2]