Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dragon Cult Fort  (Read 4205 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Dragon Cult Fort
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2011, 10:23:46 pm »

Derp yeah, horde is referring to a host of individuals, hoard is the act of gathering or the gathered bunch.  But it's kinda, a large host of individual treasures?  Right...?

I guess that would work?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2011, 10:32:09 pm »

I believe the term "horde" can refer to any massive group of like things, so I don't see why not.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2011, 10:35:11 pm »

I believe the term "horde" can refer to any massive group of like things, so I don't see why not.

Yeah, the dragons hoard hordes of treasure.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2011, 06:06:20 am »

Anyone able to confirm the "megabeasts don't lay fertile eggs" rule?

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2011, 12:56:40 pm »

I think it was more "most megabeasts should lay eggs but there are no eggs in this game yet, so they can't breed at all" concept. Now that that she-dragon can actually put her cloaca to good use, I think there just needs to be a male & female on the map, just like everything else.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2011, 02:25:11 pm »

But the implication is that it applies to an unruly group of creatures, so it's poor practice to use it in any other way.

But the dragons don't horde hoards, and that's where people seem to most often make the mistake.

Sorry, what's the thread about? I got distracted by the linguistics...
[Signature]

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2011, 02:55:53 pm »

But the implication is that it applies to an unruly group of creatures, so it's poor practice to use it in any other way.

But the dragons don't horde hoards, and that's where people seem to most often make the mistake.

Sorry, what's the thread about? I got distracted by the linguistics...

I am sorry that the people around me use improper English, as I have heard "hordes" used to describe amounts of treasure.

Wait... there was a thread?

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2011, 03:36:28 pm »

Well, they are pronounced identically, so if you're talking about a verbal conversation, they might well have said "hoard" rather than "horde."   :D

The word "horde," according to the 3 different dictionaries I have in my house, is used to refer to a large group of people, a group of nomads, a large nomadic army, or a nomadic Asian subculture.  One dictionary gives a final alternative in the list of a group of animals.  Personally, I would not use the word "horde" to refer to inanimate objects.  I might hoard my apples, but I would not say I had a horde of apples to hoard.

And dammit, now both words look funny to me.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2011, 06:03:31 pm »

"Horde" refers to a very large group of beings, almost always human ones.  It has been attached as a title to various large groups of violent people (Silver Horde, etc).

It can't be used to describe a group of inanimate objects. Sorry, but wrong usage is wrong. "Hoard" is what is used to indicate a large group of inanimate objects.  They are pronounced identically or almost identically (depending on accent), so people mix them up. See https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Homophone

Being the makers of a dragon hoard is an awesome idea - if we get a large enough military the fort would probably qualify as a horde too.   :D
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2011, 07:20:13 am »

I looked up the definition after making that post, but didn't change it...

Lok'tar Ogar!
[Signature]

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2011, 07:54:36 am »

You know, I feel like almost any grammar mistake or word misuse can be forgiven when I remember that there are over one million words in the English language. I still find that a bit difficult to understand, to be quite honest.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2011, 09:17:50 pm »

Yeah, you're forgiven. We're just bored and discussing its use overall.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]