Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deadly plants  (Read 600 times)

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deadly plants
« on: September 25, 2011, 08:53:57 pm »

In regards to DF talk 16, just a few thoughts the on how the "deadly plant" topic could work.
Really simple savage plant, a 'Venus Dorf Trap', could be classified as a creature, but act as if it were attached to a tile (like a chained animal). It could move around it's 3x3 plot, and attack those around it.

Another type could just be inconspicuous shrubbery, which could release gasses or secretions, with certain effects, whenever trampled or picked. (could apply to evil biomes as well, and you could restrict certain effects to certain biomes. [A savage shrub could cause blisters, evil shrubs could cause rot/death, joyfull shrubs could heal/explode]. Perhaps secretions could be carefully collected, and be worked into adventure mode alchemy/magic)

There could also be the simple "lash/grab" trees, that would have a basic attack. Once grabbing, dragging is implemented, you could have creeping vines that try to drag the player to certain areas (Dorf Trap nests), and can be worked into the multi z-level tree idea, with vines coming down to strangle/lift the player into the foliage death-pit, with the player hacking away at trees and vines, hoping the fall isn't too high.

There could also be projectile plants, that could shoot just straight barbs to do damage, or include terrible afflictions.

On a related note, being able to change the immediate environment would be cool. (digging shallow holes [until better skilled/equipped], chopping down trees [or bloodthirsty vines])
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Deadly plants
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 07:15:17 pm »

I support this.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
Re: Deadly plants
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 03:25:34 pm »

As do I.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.