Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Little question about obsidian-casting things (HFS spoilers)  (Read 937 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Little question about obsidian-casting things (HFS spoilers)
« on: September 21, 2011, 11:17:01 am »

After my utter failure with a demon-crushing pillar due to cpu-taxing and game-crashing bugs (damn thing was clever too.  You could reload it with obsidian and it plugged the breach as a final insult to the Clowns  ::)), I was just curious to know how well obsidianizing Clowns actually works in terms of FPS if you hit a bunch of them at once?

I'll need to build a new fortress first, but i think i've mentally devised a downright dwarven machine to kill an entire Clown Car at once. 

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
Re: Little question about obsidian-casting things (HFS spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 12:30:41 pm »

editing the raws to be able to dig obsidian then collapsing the entire ceiling on them?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 12:37:23 pm »

editing the raws to be able to dig obsidian

Why would you need to edit the raws?

Remember, obsidian is the stuff that comes when you mix magma and water. AFAIK only Semi-molten rock and slade are undiggable.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:13:15 pm »

Wondering if it's possible to make a gigantic floor-grate-covered room large enough for an entire siege of demons (with the sections not under a floorgrate blocked by a wall or simply not carved out) with magma and water pourable from overhead.  I figure one then the other and we've got a pitfull of ex-demons.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 08:32:57 pm »

Wondering if it's possible to make a gigantic floor-grate-covered room large enough for an entire siege of demons (with the sections not under a floorgrate blocked by a wall or simply not carved out) with magma and water pourable from overhead.  I figure one then the other and we've got a pitfull of ex-demons.
Floor grates don't provide support, so it would be best to make your "room" more of a long hall.

the easiest way would seem to be this design... (cut-away view)
Code: [Select]
Z2   | Magma |
Z2   |Hatches|
Z1   | Grates|
Z0  \4/7 water /

Basically, demons enter and "exit" the hall on Z1.  at either end, there's a ramp that forces them down into the main hall on z0, which is full of 4/7 water (dwarven bathtub).  The "ceiling" of the hall is made up of grates on z1: building destroyers can't get targets on other z levels, so as long as they can't touch the grates where they enter, you should be fine.  on Z2, the floor is hatch covers linked to your lever, and the z-level is filled with magma.  When you pull the lever, the magma drops down, reacts with the water, and obsidian-casts everything in the hall.  Very hot demons, though, might boil away the water: it would be safer to make the hall 'o doom filled with 2/7 magma or so, and the water be in the reservoir above, but that would be MUCH harder to build: dwarves can walk through the water to breach (and then flee from) the circus, while you'd have to have a separate access path for your miner if you fill the hall with magma... or just burrow your miner on the "wrong" side while it's dry, magma the lower hall, and then order the circus breached.  still, more engineering that way.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Dangerous Beans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:03:10 pm »

Why not do:
  |water|
  |bridge|
  |magma|
  |bridge|
  |grates|
  |corridor of clowns|

that way the dwarfs can run through the corridor, the clowns won't evaporate the water, and you can still hit them with the obsidian. you may want to set it up so there is a delay between triggering the water bridge and the magma bridge.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 09:07:12 pm »

Why would i start with water?  Fill the chamber with magma, THEN water so they can't evaporate it.  It falls straight on the magma and starts cooling it from above.