Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Favorite Labors  (Read 1199 times)

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Favorite Labors
« on: September 19, 2011, 09:14:14 am »

He likes to make furniture
He is ecstatic about putting items in bins
He likes hauling animals
He likes making clothes
He dislikes handling animals
He absolutely detests handling food
He finds mining to be relaxing
He finds brewing to be relaxing
He finds cutting down trees to be rejuvenating
He finds working with stone to be exhausting
He finds hauling items to be exhausting

I think it would be interesting to have dwarves get a special boost of happiness/penalty on certain jobs, either randomized or perhaps learned after years of doing it. Also a few quirky dwarves might actually find doing some things to be so fulfilling that they can go without sleep for months if the job is avaliable, or the other way around, dwarves that can only do a certain job a few times before getting so tired that they need to go to sleep.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Labors
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 05:15:42 pm »

well that does seem realistic, you're examples kind of contradict each other, if they refer to the same dwarf.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 05:42:59 pm »

well that does seem realistic, you're examples kind of contradict each other, if they refer to the same dwarf.
They refer to different dwarves.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 06:17:34 pm »

I like this idea, and in a sense, it's already implemented into the game somewhat.

Some dwarves like helping others (can't remember the exact text for that dwarf preference, but the meaning's the same.)
A dwarf who likes helping others will be more likely to bring in an injured dwarf as well as getting a happiness bonus for doing so.

Dwarves who don't like helping others are the opposite.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 06:42:59 pm »

I like this idea, and in a sense, it's already implemented into the game somewhat.

Some dwarves like helping others (can't remember the exact text for that dwarf preference, but the meaning's the same.)
A dwarf who likes helping others will be more likely to bring in an injured dwarf as well as getting a happiness bonus for doing so.

Dwarves who don't like helping others are the opposite.

And if a dwarf manufactures or interacts with a favored object, they will sometimes get a 'satisfied at work' thought.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 05:26:13 am »

Itīs tied to personality traits and favorite items and animal now, I think it needs to go one step further. Not if the dwarf likes to forge shortswords because he likes shortswords, but that itīs the forging itself that the dwarf likes to do. I want some dwarves to think "Oh yeah, today was a great day, engraving walls is the best!" or "Why do I have to carry amulets to the depot? BOOORED!"