Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How Elven cities should work.  (Read 3142 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
How Elven cities should work.
« on: September 15, 2011, 05:43:32 pm »

Hippie engineering!

In places where normal wood bridges would simply rot because of constant heat and moisture- the Meghalayan villagers of India grow living bridges and other buildings out of trees that take 10-15 years, and some that have been growing for 500 years!

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/09/living-bridges-india-grown-500-years-pics.php

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: How Elven cities should work.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 07:10:48 pm »

These are cool pictures and all but this is already pretty much how it's planned to go down, with regards to growing natural structures.  Did you have anything else to add to the pictures and article you linked though?

HartLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Surrender... or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 05:36:59 pm »

These are awesome pictures, but that's all they are. There should be a suggestion here, or this should have been posted as a reply to an existing thread.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 05:41:47 pm »

Didn't you read it? His suggestion is that the elves should grow their buildings, not build them normally. This has the good points of fitting in with their ethics and behaviour.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 06:13:44 pm »

SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST!!!
 This has been suggested numerous times before with way more detail and thought. Read the stickies before posting stuff like this.  ::)
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 06:35:07 pm »

Hurr durr, no one's actually reading what I said.

Dsarker got it right when he said that elves should be seen growing their "buildings" and objects over long periods of time, and that they should all be organic entities. I already know Toady has plans for giant "home trees".

Derp. Check date registered.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 06:52:14 pm »

this is trully amazing scenery, but i thought it would already be common knowledge that this is already planned, so it surprised me a bit to see a post like this from a "senior" member.
i think this thread still has it's merit, as inspirational material, and i'm guessing that's what went through kaels head when he was posting this; not as an original suggestion, but as a potential reference for an already planned feature

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 05:33:55 am »

Well, there's inspiration in the methods used by villagers in the article.

Apparently the villagers grow the bridges by guiding them through pipes:

In order to make a rubber tree's roots grow in the right direction--say, over a river--the Khasis use betel nut trunks, sliced down the middle and hollowed out, to create root-guidance systems. The thin, tender roots of the rubber tree, prevented from fanning out by the betel nut trunks, grow straight out. When they reach the other side of the river, they're allowed to take root in the soil. Given enough time, a sturdy, living bridge is produced.

Elves may not want to chop out wood, but I could see elves using cloth or plaster to do the same thing. This would require rope/cloth construction, which has a precedent with the rope ladders people have been talking about since forever.

So say you have a Hometrees growing a number of "buds" or branches around their trunk. If you want to build a bridge between two such trees, you can build a rope bridge - quick, but fragile and only one tile wide. On the other hand you can build a guide-rope for the same purpose, and the two branches will grow together over a period of years, which can be sped up by having some kind of tree-singer or druid do their thing. Eventually you have a 1-tile bridge that thickens every few years until it's large enough to build houses on.

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 11:33:16 pm »

You know, I would be just fine if DF used Tolkien's envisionings of the world's creatures.(Can "envisionings" actually not be pluralized? Screw spellchocker.) Can someone link me anything of Toady explaining how each beings' culture is planned to progress?

Anyone ever feel "human" does not quite describe us all?  :-\

Tsukae

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 01:39:57 am »

Sorry, I'm not a long time member. I'm quite new to playing and I think the idea of growing structures for elves sound like the fit the depiction DF has of them.

You know, I would be just fine if DF used Tolkien's envisionings of the world's creatures.(Can "envisionings" actually not be pluralized? Screw spellchocker.) Can someone link me anything of Toady explaining how each beings' culture is planned to progress?

Anyone ever feel "human" does not quite describe us all?  :-\
Tolkien style anything would be great in my book. I'm sure not everyone here loves Tolkien like I do, but his middle-age fantasy world makes a vary satisfying setting that DF could adopt, and I think has adopted well. Not that I want DF to be just another Tolkien spinoff. I like variation.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 02:32:50 am »

I really like this idea but wonder how it might be shown on screen.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands