Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A wild Dragon Appears! And now what?  (Read 2618 times)

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
Re: A wild Dragon Appears! And now what?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 09:32:39 pm »

I once made Harpies tamable, and managed to get three of them. Unfortunately, they were butchered by an FB that couldn't actually reach my dwarves because it was on top of a cavern-hilll that I took the slopes off, sealing that part away. The Harpies flew up and then came crashing back down...
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 11:02:01 pm »

Slightly off topic;
A Wild Dragon Appears;
Dorf uses Wardogs; It Dosen't seem to have any effect;
Oh look a XX!!pig tail sock!!XX;
Dragon uses Dragonfire; it's Super Effective;
Captain is tantruming;
Captain lashes out beheading Dorf Child;
GCS uses web; Dragon is stunned;
!!Dorf!! Takes a Drink;
Trap uses Cage on stunned Dragon; Stunned Dragon has been caught;
Will you give name to Dragon?; _ _ _ _ _ _;
Dorf uses Insanity; Your fortress has crumbled;
GCS has gained 1013 exp;
What's that GCS is evolving;
GCS has evolved to GarCmSok;

::GarCmSok is an arachnid made of steel; beware it's Firey breath::

And that is how Forgotten Beasts are made.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 11:32:35 pm »

If it killed dwarves before (INCLUDING WORLDGEN!), it'll still kill dwarves even if you tame it.

Also, Dwarfemon sounds like it would be a great game.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 10:29:36 pm »

Oh no, it's tasted human dwarven flesh!
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 01:13:58 am »

Tame it. Build a temple in the vaults of your mountain home. Find a mate.

Tame them, keep them in the vault and have dragon children, breed them like dogs.

Lock all of them up in the vault.

Wait 1000 years, have your population cap low. Make them into Keepers. A singular family that holds the secrets.

After 1000 years, open up the vault and release a family of war dragons upon the earth. Restore the kingdom, usher in a golden age of Dwarves under the Dragon fist.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 01:20:23 am »

I'd love to see a fort that actually lived for that long, and I'm terrified of what its created wealth could end up as...

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 01:23:49 am »

I'd love to see a fort that actually lived for that long, and I'm terrified of what its created wealth could end up as...
Now I am really tempted to try it... I know how I can do it.

Doing it is another statement...
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 01:37:11 am »

Tools:
9,001 barrels
Farm plot set for plump helmets, sweet pods, pig tails, and dimple cups.
Farmer's shop, dyer, loom, and clothier.
A good waterfall and dining hall.

Now: With that number of barrels and a single still, you should hit the Booze Singularity Point, where you can set the brewing job on repeat and the amount of clutter will ensure that it never stops.  Eventually, the clutter of barrels in the still will slow down production until it reaches the same rate as consumption, no matter how many dwarves you have.  The Sweet Pods + Plump Helmets helps ensure that booze is never stale, and that the pods can always be brewed even if the helmets are all eaten.

In the meantime, produce ~100 thread, bags of dye, dyed thread, and dyed cloth.  Once you've "primed" the system with a number of items, then go through the textile production line and set it to /R, as long as the farm produces more than a single shop can go through in a year (a 10x10 farm with a good farmer can outdo a farmer's shop with only 1 season of pig tail production) then the clutter effect should streamline production to make sure nothing ever runs out of resources.  Keep this going, and you can automatically produce infinite goods of dyed cloth, and after ~5 years you should have legendary skills and produce 1,800☼+ of goods from every "cloth crafts" job.

Of course, that's a lot of goods produced, so you should sell them every year to 1: Make room for new goods, 2: Score up your Exported Wealth, and 3: Relieve some FPS drag.

You should need to merely act once a year to sell goods and check if your brewer/clothier/farmer has died, and the rest of the time it just runs on smooth.  That is, assuming invaders and artifacts turned off.  Not that invaders are so difficult anyways, and moods can be handled with trade or avoided with a small population.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 01:41:27 am »

I like it!

We need a new thread. This one has been hijacked...
Pages: 1 [2]