Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cant hit enemy  (Read 652 times)

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cant hit enemy
« on: September 15, 2011, 09:02:22 pm »

Hi.

so i had several invasions all at once. wasn't a problem my trap system and marks dwarfs took care of all the cave dragons, jabberers, goblins and tiger men. (fort defense)

however a group of dark strangler spawned on an inaccessible section of raise ground.

awesome i though...target practice. i lined 20 marks dwarfs up and fired. the straglers either all died or all ran. except one.

Ive now had 20 marks dwarfs firing almost non stop at this one guy and he hasn't been hit once. im not even getting combat log of the shots hitting...there just missing constantly. 10 minutes real time..surely out of all the dwarfs firing i should have had at least one deflection shouldn't i?
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: cant hit enemy
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 09:30:00 pm »

Is the dark strangler still standing on the map edge?

In one of my forts I did once see an enemy spawn on an inaccessible spot on the map edge, who was totally immune to arrows until I forced him to move.  The only way I was able to kill him was by making that spot accessible and then sending a dwarf to fight him in melee.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:37:27 pm »

exactly my situation.

hes stuck on a map edge blocked off from everything else by a tree. 1 zlevel up. i have a squad on the same level to one side (next to the tree) firing from 4-5 squares away, and a squad below firing up from 4-5 squares away.

hmm. im not sure ill be able to get a civ to chop the tree...ill give it a go tho.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 09:50:07 pm »

If nothing else, Runesmith to kill/relocate him, or DFHack to spawn lava on him.  Since this is rather much a bug, I wouldn't feel bad about using hacks to fix it.  Cheat the solution, cut down the tree, and pave a floor so no future trees grow.  Enjoy bugtesting the game for Toady :D

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 10:07:08 pm »

Spawn water on him, THEN spawn lava on him.

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 10:10:02 pm »

ive decided to try everything i can think of before resorting to dfhack. plan a, b, c, d, e, failed....
so plan f involves siege engines. same result as arrows for both catapults and balistae.
plan g will involve trying to tunnel a civ up under and far enough behind the tree so as to not be in line of sight.
plan h involves hoping a beak wolf siege arrives at the same point (there at war). i actually just got one...but on the wrong side of the map.
plan I involves the first airborne division being formed.
plan j will be dfhack unless some other ideas are suggested.

g,h,i are concurrently underway (tho the only airborne units in my caverns is a single giant bat, caging attempts are underway) raws were modded before game started to allow almost everything to be tamed and trained.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:25:33 pm by Kattel »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 10:16:01 pm »

*Dwarf Salute*