Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designation: Clean  (Read 745 times)

SomCr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Designation: Clean
« on: September 12, 2011, 12:36:54 pm »

So after a rather amusing, but devastating, sequence of events I lost my most recent fortress. The chief cause of this was FB extract sitting everywhere. One had blown up in my courtyard and tainted the entire area. Which I had not noticed for a long time because it was covered in snow. Even when I made the inner portions of the fort clean, which was a huge pain due to having to override zones as meeting areas to get them to clean, the poison outside was still problematic. Then something occurred to me.

The suggestion is creating a new designation for cleaning. Dwarves with cleaning enabled would then go and clean the entire area selected. Outside of this typical cleaning behaviors would still be present, but it would make cleaning up after unfortunate things much easier.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:58:55 pm by SomCr »

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Designation: Clean
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 01:38:48 pm »

maybe it could work as with (o)rders... like, you set the orders to clean everything or only clean within designated area or do not clean at all
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

KharBevNor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 04:25:09 pm »

This is a great idea.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 07:40:07 pm »

While we're at it, maybe a (c)lean option for items too? One can only imagine the sort of things engravedstained into the average dwarven set of clothes. Especially if assorted poisonous materials can stick to them in the future (if they don't already?).
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

SomCr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 08:01:34 pm »

I think for items, making it based on the dwarf's personality would make sense. Add in a new line for their messiness-cleanliness scale and use that as a percentage chance for the dwarf to wash themselves. Maybe have it rolled every week in game.