Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In Memory of DF  (Read 2148 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
In Memory of DF
« on: September 03, 2011, 02:51:14 am »

Just a little story to commemorate DF and all its success

Urist McGeshudezar sat down upon the wooden chair, admiring his artifact adamantine battleaxe.  His fortress, Tributestory, had fallen, besieged for months by an almost never ending goblin army.  His brothers fell, but unlike the rest, Urist ran.  He ran to his room to fetch a drink, and hated himself for it.  His brothers in arms, his people, everyone dead, except for him.  And now the enemy was at the door, banging at it, screaming in their guttural language.  Here, Urist sat, pondering, thinking. 

He knew that he would die.  Despite his skill, he knew he could not survive for long, let alone beat them.  So he did the only thing he could.  He prayed.

What god did he worship?  One of the many, many pantheons? No.  For his family worshiped only one god, the blood god, the one known to all dwarves by one name.

"Armok, hear my prayer..."

Outside, the enemies shouted at someone, possibly to fetch some trolls. 

"In the name of the great three: Boatmurdered, Headshoots, Syrupleaf..."

BOOM BOOM BOOM.  The goblins were getting closer to breaking down the door. 

"By the power of Nist Akath, Blockedlance, Towersoared..."

BOOM BOOM BOOM.  Some more gutteral noises, probably the goblins rejoicing over their victory. 

"Give me the strength of Ironblood, of Cacame, of Holistic Detective..."

BOOM BOOM BOOM.  They were almost through.

"Armok, the one and true master of Dwarves, give me this chance to redeem myself, to shed these wretches' blood for you, to avenge my comrades and my people..."

BOOM BOOM BOOM.  Just a few hits more...

And Urist stood up, axe in hand. 

"Blood for the Blood God."

CRASH!!! The door burst open, and in entered goblins, looking for easy dwarven prey.  They found one dwarf.  They closed in on him...

Urist McGeshudezar has entered a Martial Trance!

He swept through the pathetic goblins like a wave, and in those few minutes, their numbers meant nothing.  He destroyed dozens of them, until he met their leader: the demon law-giver of their race, his body a twisted version of a cow.  He wielded a silver whip.

The two clashed.  Urist fought like a madman, the demon fought...well, like a demon.  Neither of them managed to land a hit on one another.  But Urist, like all dwarves, tired, and a single blow from the whip broke Urist's arm.  The last thing he saw was a leering face of a demonic cow, laughing at him. 

Urist opened his eyes, and was greeted by a blinding yellow light.  Quickly covering his eyes, he heard someone call behind him.

"Urist, you old sod, that was some fight."

It was Jeb, Urist's best friend, the militia captain. 

"Jeb...are we where I think we are?"

"Yep."

"So is...is everyone else here?"

"Yes, everyone else.  We were worried that you weren't gonna come with us, due to your little blunder, but that fight actually earned you a place of honor up here."

"So I'm dead." he said, in a bittersweet voice.

"Yes, you died, but you sure gave those green monsters hell before you did."

"Yeah, that's true.  I never knew losing could be so fun."

I just wrote this on a whim to remember the old forts and tropes of DF that I have loved, and which made me get the game.  It looks a bit cheesy, I guess, but I did my best. 

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
Re: In Memory of DF
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 04:14:09 am »

Naah, it's quite sweet and cheerful  ;D. Makes you all warm and fuzzy to think that all dorfs have a good place to be after death.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 05:10:29 am »

Makes you all warm and fuzzy to think that all dorfs have a good place to be after death.
Heh! They live again each time someone reads their story, and that is the whole point isn't it? Making things that will be remembered and learned time and time again, like the Beowulf and Gilgamesh even taught in schools today.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 05:30:38 am »

It's beautiful... So many references... I love this...

And the dwarves shall live on for ever after, as long as Toady keeps updating the game, these names shall be remembered and referenced again and again. Long live Dwarf Fortress! Long live Toady!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 06:16:17 am »

[...], as long as Toady keeps updating the game, [...]
Oh? What about all the players? What about all the modders? What about all the hex editors? Even if Toady stopped development right after the next update there would be plenty of material and interest to keep the community going for decades, and that's assuming that it doesn't just change gears to perpetuate itself!
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 03:47:37 pm »

posting to keep track of this.

dear sir, your tribute has been found worthy :)
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 03:51:21 pm »

Fantastic read! I envy you.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 05:08:59 pm »

I liked the ending.
"Yeah, that's true. I never knew losing could be so fun!" :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 10:24:48 am »

I liked the ending.
"Yeah, that's true. I never knew losing could be so fun!" :D

If you look up you will see terkiey's post, but with better english.

Although I'm English, too.

Now I feel stupid.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 01:29:18 am »

Now I feel stupid.
I can't seem to make any sense at all of your post, and was prepared to report you as a bot before I read your other posts. Could you clarify somehow?

Velard

• Bay Watcher
  • Anyone want some cantalope?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 07:23:32 pm »

That was amazing. Sums up DF's most glorious moments greatly. I'd say "Put this in the Hall of Legends!!!" if not for the fact that all of it's source material IS in the Hall of Legends!
Quote from: Mitchewawa
I mined out a moderate sized area above the stairway to hell in order to have enough rocks to fuel my insane architectural boner.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 08:06:11 pm »

LOSING. IS. FUN.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 04:48:16 am »

That was amazing. Sums up DF's most glorious moments greatly. I'd say "Put this in the Hall of Legends!!!" if not for the fact that all of it's source material IS in the Hall of Legends!

Wow, thanks for the praise, I really appreciate the feedback. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 10:10:07 am »

Now I feel stupid.
I can't seem to make any sense at all of your post, and was prepared to report you as a bot before I read your other posts. Could you clarify somehow?

I don't even know.

What I ment to say was, the guy above me posted what I was gonna say, but he described it better than I could.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 10:24:46 am »

The story was simple, fairly basic, and didn't really get deep or anything,
yet there's something about it which seems to capture the very spirit of DF itself.

In other words, I love it.