Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to drain water off the edge of the map?  (Read 15698 times)

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to drain water off the edge of the map?
« on: September 09, 2011, 10:50:41 am »

I read that this was possible, I dug to the edge of the map, but the water doesn't "leave".  I tried to channel the last block to the edge and that doesn't work either.  On the edges of the map there is still 1 tile of "stone", but you can't dig, channel, etc. it away.

What am I doing wrong?

XXXXXXX
           X edge of map on this side.  <- How do you get rid of this last X, or how to you build it so that water will drain away?
XXXXXXX

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to drain water off the edge of the map?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 10:57:12 am »

You cannot mine, ramp, or channel out the last tile of stone at the edge. What you do, rather, is smooth and carve fortifications in that last tile; this will permit water or magma to pass off the map. Incidentally, this is also a very good method of filtering water and magma; very few things can actually pass through fortifications.

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 11:21:09 am »

Thanks,

When I smooth the 1 tile at the map edge and then try to designate a Fortification, the "x" remains red and it will not allow me to designate a fortification.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 11:31:34 am »

Don't (b)uild a fortification.  Designate a fortification to be carved, by using the (d)esignate command and selecting (a).
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 11:33:20 am »

Right-O.. Thanks!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 12:07:39 pm »

It's also possible to build an aqueduct in a cavern level and let the water flow out through that. Works just as well, although it takes a bit longer.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 01:07:49 pm »

Keep in mind that fluids are a little bit quirky.  I always suggest to have a 2 deep drainage tunnel, with fortifications carved on both levels and no floor between.  A single staircase at the map's edge can allow you to reach the upper layer to carve it.  Because of the way pressure and drainage works, it takes a lot of water to clog a 2 level drainage.  For extra security, you probably need to to have the width equal to your water input size - as in, if you have 2 tiles breaching a river to provide for a waterfall, then you need at least a 2 wide and 2 deep drainage if you want to avoid sudden flooding issues.

Not to mention, that trees tend to grow on muddy tiles, and a 2 deep drain cannot clog by trees.