Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Active Volcanoes  (Read 830 times)

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Active Volcanoes
« on: September 05, 2011, 08:16:17 pm »

I was just thinking that volcanoes could be made a bit more lively with a very simple change;
Rather that only having magma spawn in the original magma pipe tiles, allow it to spawn *above* the magma pipe, and thus slowly spill over.

(Or, alternatively, make the obsidian walls of the pipe be one z-level shorter than currently.)

For an actual eruption, the magma spawn rate could just be increased significantly for a month or so. :)

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
Re: Active Volcanoes
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 12:23:10 am »

WRONG!

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 05:52:10 am »

WRONG!

Thiiis - your fort would die - first of lava filling the country - and then of fps issues... or is it the otherway around?
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:11:38 am »

I think Toady wrote this up some where in the Dev page...Can't remember though. But yes, your fort would die a horrible, laggy, yet lava-filled death.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:13:35 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 10:38:22 am »

Personally I don't see why lava topside would mean much death at all to subterranean dwarves, unless you're dumb enough to leave your doors and windows wide open to an erupting volcano.

The FPS hit seems the most deadly. Perhaps have active volcanoes periodically 'spit' lava out, just enough to run down the mountainside and turn the landscape a nice shade of gray, and act as natural selection for those dwarves with a thing for ‼socks‼.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 12:35:16 pm »

While some players with powerful computers could find those locations interesting to play, I don't think Toady would cater to only a small fraction of community. I haven't found anything regarding forces of nature in a dev page as well, but I'm sure, he'll get to it, right after he develops an even more optimized code or after quantum computers coming in widespread life.
And yes, it has been suggested several times before, even though it's not that  original idea the great one couldn't come up with by himself.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 01:14:39 pm »

Actually that was a bug once a long time ago [size=0](in a version far away)[/size] because the ofset for the refill algorithm was off. It is rather managable if you stay away from the volcano or if you wall it of. The magma "evaporates" rather quickly so a volcano cant flood the entire map.   
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 06:21:59 pm »

Indeed.  Given the default rate of refilling, I would expect you to see only a few tiles of spillage, though if there is a hill to flow down, it would get farther.

Your map would not flood, and you wouldn't lose any more framerate than something like a water reactor eats.
It just wouldn't be safe to plop furnaces right on the lip; you'd have to do some channeling and maybe some pumping in order to make it safe.