Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Gasmasks and other small oddities...  (Read 2122 times)

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Gasmasks and other small oddities...
« on: September 01, 2011, 01:47:04 pm »

I noticed some enemies, Forgotten Beasts or what have you, exude noxious gas. I assume the deeper you go one might find caverns full of or pockets of poisonous gas, fumes, dust or what have you as well. And even if that doesn't happen, I was thinking that it really doesn't matter how decked out with armor your dwarf is, if he walks into a noxious cloud that paralyzes his breathing, he's going to die. So what if, using small mechanisms and an animal stomach, bladder or some leather skins, the dwarves can make a gas mask or breathing apparatus to either filter out noxious gas or help them breath under water for a very brief period of time?
I imagine if that kind of air/liquid bladder container could be adapted to other things as well, combining it with a backpack and some kind of tubing or hose could make for a makeshift flamethrower -- possibly a seige engine flamethrower or other liquid or chemical sprayer could be possible too (igniteable fluid, creature venom, domesticated animal milk or ale for lulz).

And not to go all steampunk but if they can use tiny mechanisms to build a gasmask, how about some WWI style trenchcoats, goggles, and the like to protect their eyes in battle. Maybe some very basic gunpowder style musket-meets-crossbow weaponry. Stuff that's kind of effective but also prone to blowing up in dwarves faces?

Maybe that would lead to dwarf-on-dwarf warfare. Like other dwarven colonies or somesuch. I don't know. Fighting for territory sounds kind of cool but the mental image of dwarves now doing trenchwarfare just gave me a shiver.

I LOVE DWARF FORTRESS!!!!

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Gasmasks and other small oddities...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 01:49:57 pm »

Dwarf Fortress technology is firmly stuck in the 1500s-ish level. No gasmasks, no goggles, and Toady's plans for possible gunpowder weaponry I don't recall...oh, but if you want trenchcoats, just assign them a leather one.

Flamethrowers? Really? Uh...

Also...trench warfare? Boooring.

"Okay, sit in this moat. Now shoot at dudes. Try not to go crazy and start crucifyin' rats or something."
"Ach, but commander! I'll never see me parents again!"
"Oi, ye ninny. I said 'shoot goblins', not 'whine into me earhole'."
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 03:54:18 pm »

Flamethrowers were used in BC times.
Gas masks are as simple as a bit of cloth with charcoal sewn inside. Maybe make a dwarf need to hold it to their face with one hand?

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 04:42:07 pm »

Trench Warfare + Dwarves = Tunnel Warfare!

You have dwarves making artificial piles of Miasma or Smoke for their enemies to strike and die, dwarves tunneling up into the enemy camp constantly: and cave ins! While the stalemate goes above, channels and tunnels fight deep undergound!

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 04:57:41 pm »

I havenīt had much experience with fighting forgotten beasts. Does clothes do anything to keep the gas or dust from killing dwarves?

I would think being fully covered in cloth, including a cloth mask to protect the mouth from dust, would help against dust at least.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 11:36:36 pm »

To my knowledge cloth doesn't. I don't know about a cloth mask, haven't encountered one in game. That might be worth checking out actually.
But as said above, flamethrowers aren't a new thing at all. And goggles are just to keep their eyes safe. In game we have masks, glass, leather, yarn/thread, and metal studs. I imagine all the dwarven technology would be rudimentary though with a harsh, makeshift, raw look to it. Meanwhile, everything would probably have a very well embedded in reality this-might-blow-up-in-your-face warning label affixed to everything...

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 12:38:17 am »

Gonna have to go ahead and say that they didn't have gas masks with charcoal in medieval times.

They probably did use wet cloths as gas masks though, which is better than nothing and is rather good at stopping dust.

But for that we really need dust of some sort, maybe mining makes dust? Especially mining coal.

And before someone else says it, aren't dwarves beards like gas masks?
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 02:46:46 am »

Gonna have to go ahead and say that they didn't have gas masks with charcoal in medieval times.
And to what age would you date nethercap thermal suits then? (if we had temperature calculation right)
They probably would use some masks if they had to encounter FB's. And hev suits to protect themselves from other fb extractions. All that stuff could prevent dwarves from using normal armor thus bringing additional variation in combat.
I believe, apart from actually gas masks that would bring us a whole new type of equipment.
As for gunpowder, Toady had already stated that it'll never happen.
However you could mod out melee weapons or make the rare and add a bunch of ranged ones (with bayonets) to play Napoleonic era battles. Well and with update we'll hopefully get possibility to create equipment that would mutate dwarves in dwarves with [no_breath] or [fire_breath] to simulate the main part of suggestion.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:48:37 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 12:29:08 pm »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 01:59:27 pm »

in df time frame, a cloth with vinager on it.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 03:36:29 pm »

are your sure you playing DWARF FORTRES?
cuz in mine MY DORFS ARE REAL TOUGH DORFS AND USE THEIR BEARDS,INSTEAD OF THIS SO CALLED "GAS MASKS" !
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 08:48:20 pm »

I don't know, Urist McTallowandCheeseEater produces some nasty gas from his unused nether regions.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 12:32:37 pm »

as already said before, just having your dwarves hold a clothe over their mouth and nose is all I'm willing to go for.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).