Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Project advice: dojo  (Read 4286 times)

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project advice: dojo
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2011, 11:33:35 pm »

Any possibility of having the monks focus on striking and kicking skills, rather than wrestling? I didn't dig into it much, but I once embarked with 5 points in teacher on one dwarf that somehow picked up skill in biting. Most any training session he lead thereafter was for biting.

I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2011, 12:03:24 am »

In case monks prove ineffective against goblins I started drafting peasants into a marksdwarf and swordsdwarf squads. 
monks i see in old kung fu movies are always using bows and swords and spears and stuff.
just not in metal armor.
i dont see why the monks, once they've reached mastery in unarmed styles couldnt start picking up some weapon styles.

especially PAIRED weapons.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2011, 12:11:16 am »

Martial Arts does have a style purely dedicated to Weapons, known as Ninjitsu. Just use that.
It actually covers just about any type of bladed weapon, and a few that aren't.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2011, 12:19:44 am »

Initiation into the higher mysteries:

Survive alone in the caverns for one year.  No pick, no axe.  One piece of wood (ye trusty staff).  If they're barren caverns, you get one seed.  If you survive, bring back the skeleton of the last dwarf to foolishly risk initiation.

The hidden masters:

All that have been initiated into the higher mysteries live in a physically isolated burrow; goods are dropped in a hole for them.  Once a year, for a period lasting a day, the hidden masters open their entrance to the caverns; a simple ashery lies behind the bridge.  Which potential initiate will burn his staff and discover wisdom?

The chosen one:

Make a labyrinth with citizens trigger pressure plates.  Basic design should be mesas connected by bridges; the bridges should be 10 long, triggered by pressure plates 10 tiles earlier in the path.  A few cave-in traps would be a good idea too, and there's nothing wrong with spike traps (more for dodging off than for killing).  If you can build it such that it's vulnerable to hostile flyers, so much the better.  Place an artifact weapon at the end of the labyrinth, and assign it to one of your dwarves.  When he fails to reach the weapon, assign it to a different dwarf.  Eventually, one will carry the weapon-- he is the one the prophecies speak of.

Meditation cells:

1 tile meeting hall in a 3x3 room.  Meeting hall lies on a pressure plate that blocks the only entrance to the room.  Monks don't attend parties, but treasure solitude and peace.  Hunger and thirst are illusory, for life itself is illusory.

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 04:51:57 am »

So, I was just thinking of doing this.  Having 7 ( maybe 6, I'll need one free dwarf for labor ) dwarves just lock themselves in underground, make basic farming capabilities, a bed to train around, and just have them train non-stop.  I don't really care about architecture or aesthetics, I just want Dwarven martial artists, and since they train slowly, it's gonna take a while.  Can you guys give me some tips, such as allocating the proper points pre-embark, what food should I get, how to keep Dwarves happy and stable, etc.

Oh, and I'll lock out any migrants, I don't want any contact with the surface until I get legendary fighters.   
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 05:17:38 am »

Live combat is going to be your primary option for training wrestlers.  Set traps for wild animals/goblins/kobolds and then toss them naked to the dwarves to wrestle.  At least one of the starting group should have wrestling and teaching skill, so that any training done can be productive.  Give the others the student skill for max effect.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 06:42:04 am »

Last time I tried having my military without weapons attack an animal, it was a giant badger.  Didn't go so well. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 2 [3]