Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dropping goblins into clown car? *SPOILERS*  (Read 1398 times)

wormplayer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dropping goblins into clown car? *SPOILERS*
« on: September 05, 2011, 09:14:57 pm »

So I've just found my HFS, and I'm wondering if there's any way to dig a pit to send goblins to be ripped apart by the inhabitants. I'd like for them to actually hit the slade floor instead of the adamantine floors sometimes found higher up in the spire's hollow point, as that might either not attract the attention of the demons, or lead them closer to my fortress than I'd find comfortable. Has anyone tried any setups with doing this kind of thing? Or does anyone have any suggestions? My fort already has numerous ways to kill my captured enemies, and I plan to use this for the most heinous of them. But first I need to get it working.

Can anyone help?
He is a dubious worshipper of Agakunib the Fondness of Squids.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping goblins into clown car? *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 09:25:59 pm »

Just remember that clowns have "wings".

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:31:43 pm »

If you've breached HFS and survived, congrats: Sladeland is yours for the taking.  If you dump goblins into it, the wandering clowns will get 'em eventually.  If you've made a breach but haven't called the clowns yet, I believe that tube is safe: clowns may wander in, but won't zerg you.  Build a retracting bridge over the bottom of the tube (clever obsidian casting may be required to get there.  Get goblins to it by any means necessary, then retract it to drop them in.  You can do something similar with floor hatches, but if you want more than a 1x1 pit it will take more mechanisms.  In either case, the crux of the matter is that building destroyers can't destroy buildings on a different z level.

Basically, the setup is to fill a room above the clown car with goblins, then make the floor go away, and finally quickly restore the floor.  to be very safe, use an airlock system.  Here's a cutaway

Code: [Select]
Fortress
|  | < Tube.  Perhaps put a mass-pitting room here?
|__| < retracting Bridge 1 (dump enemies here initially.  Open only when 2 is closed)
|__|< retracting bridge 2 (open only when 1 is closed)
Clown Car

That's the basic idea.  Remember, you're making horrific sacrifices to the denizens of the abyss, be stylish about it!  Rose Gold constructions (I imagine it looking like blood-stained gold in this case, and the eerie light is purple), horrific engravings if you can manage, statues of dying goblins and other awfulness awesomeness.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 01:30:54 am »

HFS will path to you regardless of everything.  If you open the hole, they will fly through it.  Goblins won't lure them closer, they'll be getting closer on their own.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 01:56:12 am »

HFS will path to you regardless of everything.  If you open the hole, they will fly through it.  Goblins won't lure them closer, they'll be getting closer on their own.
This. Are they not already attacking your fort?
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 02:03:26 am »

If the glowing pits are still chasms, might I suggest using them as trash/goblin dumps? Especially if you happen to have one underneath an adamantine tube.

I don't think you can go much dwarfier than treating Hell as your fortress' garbage dump.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 03:06:07 am »

If you're willing to sacrifice two dwarves, drop the goblins into a danger room, then carve an access tunnel from the goblins to the circus. Wall up the connection to the rest of the fort, then have the two dwarves finish the access tunnel. Draft the dwarves and send them to kill the goblins, who should be in flee mode, to lure the clowns to them. Whoever wins, grant them the privilege of fighting your military. Or drowning in water and lava, whichever you prefer.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 04:21:11 am »

After you've dealt with the initial wave of the HFS, the demons that wander in from the edges of the screen act like wild animals, i.e. they don't attack until you get close enough or they wander close enough to you. The good news is that this behavior makes construction in hell is feasible with military supervision and/or expendable masons. The bad news is that the goblins might be able to exit the map through hell before they get killed, and even if they can't, it may take ages for the demons to get close enough to decide to attack. You might try setting up a few pieces of artifact furniture around the goblin drop zone to lure in the demons.

Throwing the prisoners into the glowing pit works great, too. Eventually you'll start getting engravings about how the goblin Stozu McGeneral fell into a deep chasm durring "The Disemboweled Assault," and such. And you can carve them on the slade floors of hell itself, no less.