Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Elven Necromancer Raise Trees?  (Read 4211 times)

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elven Necromancer Raise Trees?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 05:02:18 pm »

You know elves used to raise trees as ents right back when the game was first released?

I'm not sure what happened to it after that... :(
[Signature]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 05:03:24 pm »

In the latest talk Toady said he had dark green (I think)  Ñ's reserved for natural monsters, which will include normal/generic monsters, nature related monsters and walking evil trees.
This doesn't mean it will be includes in the next update, but he has at least a color ready for it ^^

They are natural creatures that are also somehow warped.

Unlike all the others which are corrupted creatures

Thus I'd call the Dark Green "The Warped"

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 07:08:49 pm »

I like the idea of a...woodromancer?
Maybe all kinds of materials can have X-o-mancy secrets. Like, rockomancy (!! Control of walls, floors, mecanism,s? Scary!), metalomancy (weapons, armor, dwarves wearing armor), gemomancy (gems-meh), plantomancy (trees, shrubs, giant fungi, grass-entangly, tree-ey, etc), etc...
Dendromancer I think, but that would be for divining secrets or the future with trees. Then again Necromancy is divinination by communing with the spirits of the dead so it depends how picky you want to be. Necroturge and Dendroturge might be more accurate for raising armies and other kinds of magic.

There is a huge list of kinds of divination at https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Methods_of_divination and if we fudge mancy to mean magic as others do then many of these could be varieties of magic. I'm sure dwarfs could have fun with ailuromancy (cats). Lava comes straight from the greek so I think lavamancy is valid.

EDIT: For the ones you listed there is:
  • molybdomancy (molten metal)
  • lithomancy (gems or stones)
  • phytomancy (plants)

Colloquially though, the "-mancy" suffix can refer to magic in general rather than merely designating divination specifically as it does in the traditional sense.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 [2]