Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random songs/ballads?  (Read 790 times)

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
Random songs/ballads?
« on: September 05, 2011, 01:36:30 pm »

This is obviously a very long-term goal, but it'd add TONS to the game's feel and atmosphere.

Basically, during world gen, or in fortress mode, civilised creatures could write songs/ballads/short stories (Song from now on.) about something that happened. Perhaps limit it to be about civilisations that had a large effect on the world (Many battles, kills, wins, large population) or historical figures with a larger number of kills. Such songs could incorporate certain elements about its subject, like how Cacame slew the dragon and was a real hero!

For a shorter term goal, it'd be nice to simply have engravings that mention a book, like "Here is engraved the ballad of Cacame and the Dragon."
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Random songs/ballads?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 02:28:55 pm »

Toady did once mention a procedural poetry generator. He threatened us with it in fact. I'd imagine this kind of thing is on the cards.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 03:14:19 pm »

I dream with that.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 04:47:08 pm »

The Deer of Dragons is a ballad about humans and elves. The elves are killing the humans. It has a cheerful tune and a poor rhyme scheme. This ballad refers to the defeat of The Red Empires by The Tree of Waters in 493.

Excellent idea! (Oh, and already planned.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 12:32:47 am »

I actually meant the game "writing" the poem, but right now I'd be satisfied with that too. I'm rather ecstatic to hear Toady has it planned though.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.