Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven trench warefare?  (Read 2376 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven trench warefare?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 07:04:00 pm »

Are marksdwarves in arena usually able to fire on creatures they can't path to?  (Different kinds of creatures use different tests for engaging in ranged combat; I imagine arena mode uses only a single method for all kinds of creatures)

EDIT: They can fire on creatures they can't path to.  Range of an entrenched marskman appears to be 1 tile.  (That's going to be the problem.)  In arena mode, creatures will not attack each other in melee without path-- meaning that the entrenched goblin will only ever fire bolts, and never attack in melee or be attacked in melee.  If they have path, they won't attack through z-levels, but instead will pursue path to attack on the same z-level.

One of the things this suggests is that pathing is not to adjacent tiles, but to occupied tiles, which makes sense; pathing to adjacent tiles could cause slowdown.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:30:13 pm by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 07:23:27 pm »

A dwarf on an elevated pillar will fire on a target on a lower z level but the goblin will not path to him. If the goblin is an archer he will return fire. If the archer dwarf is in a channel by the design I last used and a goblin wanders into a tile adjacent to the archer dwarf the dwarf will attack but the goblin will not. From that I built

xxxxxxxxx
    xD__D_D_
G######## V
    xD_D__D_
    xxxxxxxxx

where
x= wall
#= floor
_=channel
D=Archer
G= Goblin
V=Bait

Arena testing suggests Goblins will run up the narrow walkway to kill the bait animal and the dwarves will engage them. This is in theory a sound idea but the goblins will inevitably dodge into one of the channels and your dwarves are going to be fighting melee combat with crossbows.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 07:41:03 pm »

Range of a dwarf in the rear position of a trench two tiles wide is two tiles beyond the trench.

Code: [Select]

#  abc
 #12###
 ######

side view

Position 1 can fire on a or b; 2 can fire on a only; neither position can fire on c
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 08:05:00 pm »

#    AB#
#D ###
#####
A death tunnel with the dwarves at position one would work there's still a risk of the goblins dodging into the channel unless they stay in lane B. It's plausible but I don't think it has the trench warfare vibe the OP wanted. It's really just a roundabout way to achieve the same balance of safety and ability to engage enemies achieved by a fortification funnel.

Linden Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 09:46:21 pm »

I gave up on this little project. From all of these responses it seems like it's not going to work well. The whole idea seemed pretty cool..

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 10:10:56 pm »

If you want it to be effective reverse it make it a 1z level wall with ramps on the other side. That would allow the marksdwarves to shoot. I use this for my minimalist dead civ forts

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 10:58:30 pm »

Guerilla tactics works better, dig long sets of narrow tunnels around map, place small pillboxes in key spots with access from below.
Your result? Amazingly effective warning system and guerilla warfare tactics for fort defense.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 12:05:15 am »

In trench warfare people died in droves to charges, the only thing preventing a massive charge was the fact that people were afraid to die.
AAAAAAND machine guns.

1st time ever seen on the battle field.

twas as horrifying as one might imagine.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!
Pages: 1 [2]