Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question: Changing a pre-made item from material X to Y  (Read 647 times)

Alem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question: Changing a pre-made item from material X to Y
« on: February 25, 2012, 09:23:14 pm »

I have not found anything that directly relates to this, but if an example of such already exists I apologize in advance.

I am wondering if it is possible to take, for example, a Short Sword made of say Rusted Iron and change it into a Short Sword made of say Iron, or anything of the ilk where the material changes but what the item is stays the same. I imagine quality of said item would likely not be capable of being preserved, so I do not mind a method that doesn't do that (though if it IS possible, it would be nice).

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Changing a pre-made item from material X to Y
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 10:04:14 pm »

You could make a reaction that takes an item of a specific type and material as a reagent and takes an item of a specific type of material. That would be like what you're asking. This would not preserve the item's quality, and the input item and output item wouldn't have to be related at all, but you can avoid that. You would, however, need a reaction for each possible input and output, so you'd need for instance a reaction to turn rusty short swords into iron short swords, a second reaction to turn dull bronze short swords into bronze short swords, and so forth.

There's no equivalent to the [GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:blah] token for item types. This process would basically involve destroying the old items outright and creating completely new ones, so nothing (aside from properly-made reactions) would stop you from putting in a rusty short sword and getting out an iron battle axe.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Alem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Changing a pre-made item from material X to Y
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 10:30:49 pm »

Bah! Defeated already heh. Thank you for the quick reply!  :D