Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legends not accurate?  (Read 1359 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legends not accurate?
« on: September 02, 2011, 08:06:14 am »

I was looking through the legends mode and I noticed that the best militia  captain of Veilurns, my main fortress on that world was listed as having been killed by a goblin but I'm absolutely sure that she died in a cloud of boiling  forgotten beast extract. Does this mean legends is somehow not accurate or does the bleeding to death effect of fb extract exacerbate previous wounds (if any)? I think it might be the latter because the Forgotten Beast who did that killed at least four Dwarfs of Veilurns but is listed as having slain one. Peculiar.  :-\

And seeing that the kobolds all died at year four made me rather sad, so I'm going to see if I can get them to survive a bit longer and then I'll gen a new world.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
Re: Legends not accurate?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:16:59 am »

Kobolds don't know how to grow food :(
If you want them around in the current version, add [NO_EAT] to their description
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 08:22:47 am »

Yeah, thought it was something like that, and I noticed Goblins have [NO_EAT] and its drink equivalent so I gave those to Kobolds as well. Along with [CAN_SPEAK] and [PET]. :P Hopefully that means I can get them on my side. :D

Edit; yay Kobolds. I genned a new world, stopped it at year five, checked the legends and noticed that the Kobolds did not die in year 4.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 08:26:44 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 09:58:41 am »

I've noticed the killcount thing myself, in particular where the kill went to a goblin who wounded a dwarf seven years previously (who actually died from one of two syndromes). I assume the kill goes to the last creature to wound the victim directly, but I don't know how consistent that is. For instance, one of my marksdwarves recently shot a flying FB which then plummeted to it's death, and the dwarf got the kill; but if a previously wounded dwarf then fell down a shaft, say, would the kill then go to the attacker?

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 10:14:36 am »

I'm pretty sure it is because the syndrome doesn't count as an actual attack from the FB.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 11:19:16 am »

I've noticed the killcount thing myself, in particular where the kill went to a goblin who wounded a dwarf seven years previously (who actually died from one of two syndromes). I assume the kill goes to the last creature to wound the victim directly, but I don't know how consistent that is. For instance, one of my marksdwarves recently shot a flying FB which then plummeted to it's death, and the dwarf got the kill; but if a previously wounded dwarf then fell down a shaft, say, would the kill then go to the attacker?
I'm pretty sure it is because the syndrome doesn't count as an actual attack from the FB.
Yeah, I thought about both of these things, but as far as I know the FB ONLY killed with the boiling extract so it shouldn't even count the one kill it DOES list.

TychoTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 03:06:08 pm »

Maybe dwarves embellish their legends and lore just like everyone else.  "Boiling forgotten bea- NO, that WILL NOT do.  Something more valiant and heroic... death in mortal combat with a fell foe! Yes, much better.  This should sell well."

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 03:14:45 pm »

Or maybe in a drunken stupor. "So... a' tha' point tha' forg..." "Ach, NO! It was tha... tha goblin... tha... tha killed him, ya know?"

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 05:26:33 pm »

Based on experiences in Adventure Mode, the credit for deaths that aren't the result of critical hits are usually granted to whoever inflicted a wound that bled. For instance, if you hack six of a Hydra's heads and it keels over from blood loss before you remove the last head, the dwarf that tapped the artery will get credit for the kill even if it was only a single hit early in combat and the decapitations happened afterwards.

In cases like the boiling beast extract, the game probably saw that she died of blood loss and just went back to the last time she suffered a wound that resulted in bleeding and assumed that it had never stopped. The dwarf that was listed as a kill for the Beast was probably bumped or scratched by it at some point.