Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Computer freezing when re-activating DF  (Read 605 times)

Beyondrepair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Computer freezing when re-activating DF
« on: September 02, 2011, 02:42:07 pm »

If I "tab out", or more correctly activate another window, the whole computer sometimes freezes when I go back to Dwarf Fortress and I have to reboot. This is under Windows Vista 64 bit and latest DF version (admittedly with Ironhand's GFX). Is this a known problem or do I got "weird hardware problem #18741"? It's a large problem for me since the DF Wiki is pretty much mandatory reading in order to understand game features (was a while since i last played DF too).

Since I won't have this computer for more than two weeks I won't bother making a bug report on it, but it'd be nice to be able to play DF these weeks.

I played around with init.txt and will do it some more, but this is a huge time-consumer since the freeze is non-determinstic.

Edit: Realize this may be wrong sub-forum, I appologize if that's the case.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:43:52 pm by Beyondrepair »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Computer freezing when re-activating DF
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 02:59:55 pm »

I've been playing dwarf fortress on vista 64 bit since I got into it and I haven't had any issues like that.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 03:13:56 pm »

Computer specs?
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 03:25:11 pm »

Don't play fullscreen, just maximize the window.  In my experience, if anything is going to go wrong, it's fullscreen mode.  I have a lot of things that run smooth as silk, until you minimize them...