Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do now?  (Read 1729 times)

Qwicol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do now?
« on: September 02, 2011, 05:30:37 am »

My current fort is under siege [~40 gobbos, 10 trolls and a Deamon master]. Dwofs are safe inside but:
Only ores available are: tetrahedrite, galena, garnierite, native gold and native platinum [a bit]
No coal, only ~30 logs from previous caravan.
Caravan from mountainhomes was annihilated by synchronizing arrival with current siege and my requested steel, iron and coal lie outside.

Should I made complete copper armor and weapons and go for caverns and magma?
I know that copper is shitty material for weapons and armors but how good it will be when masterwork? On par with iron?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do now?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 05:52:39 am »

Corridor with ~51 cage trap  ;D
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 05:59:48 am »

Copper arrows, hammers and maces are excellent (better than steel, I believe). Copper spears are functional. But for swords, axes and armour, even masterwork won't put them on par with iron. I'd suggest building a detour route into your fortress with a drowning chamber or a dodge stairwell and bringing the invaders into it. Don't make a long cage-trap corridor unless you have a way of clearing it out if the leader should be caged (ie, integrate it into a drowning chamber or a ballista range)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 06:09:34 am »

Wait it out. Goblins will siege you max 4-ish months before they give up. Its possible for the next siege to arrive within minutes of the previous one leaving, but you should have the time to pick up anything you want from the destroyed caravan.

Regarding trees: if you have discovered caverns, dig out massive rooms in the soil layers. You'll have some full grown years within 1,5 years, a 100 x 100 room makes sure you will have enough wood for metal industry as long as it isnt on round the clock. Alternatively, you could always dig deep to get magma.

EDIT: copper isnt that bad against Goblins. The goblins only wear mail shirts(copper or iron), cap/helm and shield. 2/3 of Goblin edged weapons will penetrate your copper armor less than half the time while your weapons will penetrate goblin clothing, usually, just fine, and in 1/3 of the times their armor too. Use spears if you want to be sure. Copper crossbows are also as good as any other, and copper bolts are pretty much the best bolts, and in your case most economic too. If theres no return fire it doesnt matter what they shoot any way.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:14:12 am by Erkki »

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 07:15:08 am »

1. Find magma
2. Build a pump stack
3. Build a burning magma death trap menacing with spikes and kittens
4. ???
5. Profit  :)

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 08:09:38 am »

First, go for the Magma to solve the fuel problem. Forever.

Possible Solutions for Gobbos(as suggested above):
1.Traps
TONS of Cagetraps should be fine. Atomsmasher, if you are lazy. The Demon guy will probably flee, after his troops are smashed to an invisible paste. Dwarfness:++
2.Military
copper crossbows + bolts for 2/3 of the army, equip the others with copper shields + maces. you will need some leather though, for quivers, and a doctor for the aftermath.Dwarfness:+++
3.Wait
...Dwarfness:+
4.Mama
Pumpstacks. Pumpoperators. Temporal Reservoirs. Machicolation. COMBUSTION.
Dwarfness:+++++++++++++++++

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 09:01:25 am »

You have galena, and silver is much better than copper for blunt weapons like crossbows and hammers.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 09:04:59 am »

You have galena, and silver is much better than copper for blunt weapons like crossbows and hammers.
I'm pretty sure you have to recieve silver weapons from a caravan.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 09:07:21 am »

Nope.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 09:29:04 am »

4.Mama
Tell their mothers what bad boys they've been? That doesn't sound particularly Dwarflike.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 12:28:20 pm »

"But MOOOOOOOOOOOM, what if I WANT to siege a Dwarf Fortress?"
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 12:57:22 pm »

If you're early in the game, there's no shame waiting out a siege, especially when there's a demon (magma-proof, non-drowning, trap-avoiding, un-atom-smashable, probably flying, possibly syndrome-inflicting and/or fire-slinging) come to lead them: by the time you could set up to break this siege, via megaproject death machine, danger-room trained copper/silver military, or GCS-webbed cage traps, it'll have gotten bored and left.  Best work on one of the more destructive solutions, though: there will be more, though probably without the demon to worry about.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 01:13:23 pm »

4.Mama
Tell their mothers what bad boys they've been? That doesn't sound particularly Dwarflike.

Mama Pumpstack, no less.

That's what I'm going to name my magma repeater, I think.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 03:00:10 pm »

I knew that to be wrong, but just 1 minute ago I asked a dorf to make me a silver hammer, just in case. No worries, I have an extra hammer of silver.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza