Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wooden crossbows?  (Read 947 times)

Matheld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wooden crossbows?
« on: August 31, 2011, 12:29:07 pm »

Are wooden crossbows any good?
Are they better/worse than metal?
I just got an artifact cedar crossbow..

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wooden crossbows?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 12:34:26 pm »

Material DOES NOT affect damage dealt form fired rounds, nor does it affect accuracy. The material affects damage dealt in melee combat when the crossbow is used as a bludgeoning weapon. The core quality of the crossbow affects the accuracy. A wooden crossbow does make for lightweight weaponry for your marksdwarves, however, it makes them less able to survive when they run out of ammo.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 12:45:06 pm »

Copper is the best material for crossbows, due to its high weight and blunt attack (uses hammer skill in melee) but if your dwarves never enter melee (like if they're positioned atop a wall) then any material will do.  Quality affects accuracy and damage, material changes nothing.  All mine end up bone, because bone stockpiles get very large.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 04:24:18 pm »

like girlinhat said, if you are smart in the placement of your marksdwarves , you won't have to worry about them running into battle.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 04:52:33 pm »

With my experience with artifact crossbows, you will not be going into melee often.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 09:00:25 pm »

Wooden Crossbows are great, I tend to make a lot early on, and then sell the ones that aren't high quality.