Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What solutions do you feel are best (You may choose one for each. (Please, dont force yourself to ignore the tread as well. There are some discussion options too!)

1.A
1.B.
1.C
1.C.2
Your solutions are not good for problem 1.
2.A
2.B
Your solutions are not good for problem 2.
Problem 2 should wait for Army Arc.

Author Topic: Squad Improvements. (Squad building enhancement ideas.)  (Read 824 times)

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Squad Improvements. (Squad building enhancement ideas.)
« on: August 31, 2011, 04:13:38 pm »

The new military system is great, given that you learn how to use it. Although it has minor issues in the squad system.
1. When building a squad, you have to cross compare names in order to be certain that a squad member is not already in another squad. This is a problem when you have a 21 man military.
 Solution A. Put men who are in a squad at the bottom of the list to avoid confusion.
 Solution B. Recolor men who are in a squad to avoid confusion.
     For Discussion: Solution: B.2. Also make specific gear color already equipped items!
 Solution C. Make men already in a squad naturally be excluded from the recruiting list, and make it so while recruiting you can
                 press T to switch over to a transfer menu to transfer men from another squad.
     Solution C.2. Enhance the transfer menu so it asks "Do you want this soldier to keep their equipment load-out?"

2. All squads behave more like a standing military then a militia. They all train and deploy the same way, when in reality a militia would be plenty different from a standing army.
  Solution A. Differentiate between militia and standing army.
                  A2. Make a militia and military options when forming squads. The differences: (This goes on for a little bit)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
     Solution B. Rename militia Army. This feels rather half.......
     For discussion: Solution C: AI options for squads.

Glitch: Soldiers take off their shirts, and then complain that there isn't a shirt to put on and thus cannot complete their uniform and thus cannot go into battle for the glory of Girlisholes, the Bald Bloody Partner of Death.......... Then leave the military against my orders and complain about the lack of jobs when all their jobs are available, that they are suppose to be killing people, and they are dieing of hunger totally unwounded.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:27:16 pm by Roraborialisforealis »

EggFibre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Squad Improvements. (Squad building and Customization.)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 08:17:26 am »

I like the idea of improved squad-choosing functions, and recolouring already chosen dwarves sounds like a good solution.

A change to equiping troops is needed though. Recolouring already equipped 'specific weapons' would be useful.

Joakim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 11:22:45 am »

I prefer 1B, it seems useful and in the DF spirit of color-coding. Especially if we can choose the squad colors ourselves.

Regarding the second problem, they're called Militia because the real army is coming in the army arc. Or whatever it's called nowadays. The point is that it's coming. These guys are just the local defence force, whose only goal is to defend the fortress. In other words, a local militia. They do train individually, but  organized sparring sessions are scheduled so everybody can attend. In theory anyway.
Personally I would prefer the fortress guard duty to be an order like training or patrolling. Then it's up to you if you want to make a designated fortress guard squad or if the job should rotate among the troops. Possibly the same with the Royal Guard. I'm not sure if they are supposed to be the noble's personal troops or more like a secret service kind of bodyguards that guard all the important people of the fortress. I'm voting for the latter. They are following my orders and not the baron's after all, thank goodness.

I think that "On break" and downtime should be remade in general, not just regarding military service. Especially there should be more similarity between "no orders" and "on break" so that I can ensure that my broker is available when I need him, by making sure he has lots of free time otherwise.

I don't think militia, army, fortress guard or royal guard should behave differently just because their squad is in a different part of the military organization. A veteran militia could probably fight better than a newly recruited army squad. I would prefer for the player to organize these things. I might want to give most squads "good enough" equipment and training while I have one crack squad of FB-killers. Whether any of these guys should watch, patrol or attack is up to what orders I give them.

I do like the idea of dwarves of different squads training together though. They should also figure out themselves that if you are "training individually" and I am "training individually" then maybe we could spar instead? Even outside of active training duty.

And training shouldn't count as a draft. I want to have a 30 days practice, 30 days work schedule for some squads but they get really upset when drafted six times a year when untrained. I think the assignment to a squad would count as the you're in the army now unhappy thought. The "relieved from duty" unhappiness would then come from being kicked out of the squad, obviously.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 02:20:39 pm »

I like the idea of improved squad-choosing functions, and recolouring already chosen dwarves sounds like a good solution.

A change to equiping troops is needed though. Recolouring already equipped 'specific weapons' would be useful.
Good idea! Ive modified the op to include this as an extension to B.
Regarding the second problem, they're called Militia because the real army is coming in the army arc. Or whatever it's called nowadays. The point is that it's coming. These guys are just the local defence force, whose only goal is to defend the fortress. In other words, a local militia. They do train individually, but  organized sparring sessions are scheduled so everybody can attend. In theory anyway.
Personally I would prefer the fortress guard duty to be an order like training or patrolling. Then it's up to you if you want to make a designated fortress guard squad or if the job should rotate among the troops. Possibly the same with the Royal Guard. I'm not sure if they are supposed to be the noble's personal troops or more like a secret service kind of bodyguards that guard all the important people of the fortress. I'm voting for the latter. They are following my orders and not the baron's after all, thank goodness.
Hmm... So maybe just adding AI options for squads instead? Or waiting for the army arc instead.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:25:27 pm by Roraborialisforealis »

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Squad Improvements. (Squad building enhancement ideas.)
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 04:20:22 pm »

I think there should be various filtering options for the list of dwarves on the right of the military screen, e.g.
All dwarves (as it is now)
All dwarves not in squads (so you don't take dwarves out of a squad)
All dwarves in squads (for reorganizing your military without civilians cluttering up the screen)
All dwarves with military skills
All dwarves with a specific skill and/or level
All dwarves with minimum attribute levels (so you can put your weak dwarves in the guard, and strong tough dwarves in the militia).

Also: don't jump back to the top of the list whenever you assign a dwarf to a squad!!!

I'm not sure we need a separate system for distinguishing between militias and standing armies.  You just need to give your "army" the best equipment, and set their schedule to alternate training and patrolling, with occasional breaks, and disable all labours except pumping (so the work out in their spare time), and give your "militia" basic equipment, a mostly "off duty" schedule, and keep their normal jobs.

(I suppose the entity raws could be changed to have separate militia and army officers, with the main/only difference being the name, just to make it easier to distinguish between the militia and army squads).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 04:30:40 pm »

I think there should be various filtering options for the list of dwarves on the right of the military screen, e.g.
All dwarves (as it is now)
All dwarves not in squads (so you don't take dwarves out of a squad)
All dwarves in squads (for reorganizing your military without civilians cluttering up the screen)
All dwarves with military skills
All dwarves with a specific skill and/or level
All dwarves with minimum attribute levels (so you can put your weak dwarves in the guard, and strong tough dwarves in the militia).

Also: don't jump back to the top of the list whenever you assign a dwarf to a squad!!!

I'm not sure we need a separate system for distinguishing between militias and standing armies.  You just need to give your "army" the best equipment, and set their schedule to alternate training and patrolling, with occasional breaks, and disable all labours except pumping (so the work out in their spare time), and give your "militia" basic equipment, a mostly "off duty" schedule, and keep their normal jobs.

(I suppose the entity raws could be changed to have separate militia and army officers, with the main/only difference being the name, just to make it easier to distinguish between the militia and army squads).
Well, the second section described the two types having different AI's, not just being named different with a little polish.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 02:19:46 am »

Recoloring or removing is either fine.

I am more for removing them as it makes list faster to navigate.

Definite NO for reordering.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 08:45:38 am »

I draft a lot of immigrants into the military, and they are conveniently gathered at the bottom of the unit list. Reordering would be a bit irritating, a recolor would be much better.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 09:49:57 am »

To solve #2, I'd suggest simply differentiating between Active and Training.
Dwarves display very inconsistent behavior when set to Active/Training right now.

But before any new features, I'd prefer the known bugs to be addressed.
Especially the old ones.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 02:10:41 pm »

To solve #2, I'd suggest simply differentiating between Active and Training.
Dwarves display very inconsistent behavior when set to Active/Training right now.

But before any new features, I'd prefer the known bugs to be addressed.
Especially the old ones.
I respect that.