Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Bows/X-bows overshadowed by Throwing?  (Read 4722 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bows/X-bows overshadowed by Throwing?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2011, 09:42:11 pm »

My strategy for surviving enemy archers is ducking around trees to constantly break line of sight
I tend to start with Proficient Ambusher when going as a bowman. I jump behind trees, 'S'neak, and I'm either REALLY well camo-ed, or I'm an Invisible Stalker. I then shoot at my adversaries. My shots usually hit in just the right spot to hit a bone and therefore chip it. They fly into unconsciousness from pain shortly afterwards, at which point I no longer sneak and slit (stab) their throats. Or stab their brains out, whichever makes him die quicker.

If they can't see me, the ridiculous reloading time is no big issue.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 11:44:20 pm »

The problem with this setup is that 3 shots took far more time than 10 thrown arrows. That's why injured enemies had time to bleed out.
Throwing is broken because it's so much faster than shooting.
Isn't that realistic? Drawing your bow, knocking an arrow, aquiring a target, leading your shot, and firing is alot more complicated than just hucking things.
I know this is a sensible thought, but I also know that (back when I practiced regularily, with devoted targets) when I wear a quiver, all nocking, aiming, and firing takes about as long as taking a rock from my pocket and giving it a good, strong throw. One of the keys is to be drawing your next arrow during your follow-through; it's easier to do if you delude yourself that the bowstring wont move when you let it go, so the piece of your mind handling that hand doesn't get caught up 'firing the arrow'.
 I have a feeling projectile weapons will actually approach both realism and game-balance during the army arc, if only as a side-tangent.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2011, 03:46:14 am »

The army arc is...currently after the caravan arc right? Which means in about 7 months or so?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 12:15:59 pm »

The army arc is...currently after the caravan arc right? Which means in about 7 months or so?
Yes. Perhaps. Toady's been getting sidetracked a lot, despite his efforts to the contrary, and the first part of the caravan arc included all that tough stuff with getting sites working (oh, and there was a meet-up, another trip, and an interview). If players are sufficiently enthused with the necromancy and interactions, he probably wont get so sidetracked again for a while, so then more like 4-5 months.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: 1 2 [3]