Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Collect GCS webs fail?  (Read 763 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Collect GCS webs fail?
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:34:53 am »

I captured and tamed a GCS and built myself a nice web farm.  It's right next to the loom.  Yet my weaver insists on traveling all the way down to the 2nd cavern level to collect webs.  I've put restricted traffic areas on the ramps leading down, but he still goes all the way down.

I don't want to lock everyone out completely because my first cavern layer is barren and I desperately need the wood that can only be found in the 2nd caverns.  Is there a way to forbid only the regular cave spider webs or something?  I have a room full of lovely GCS silk that's being ignored...
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Collect GCS webs fail?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:38:49 am »

Make the loom and the weaver in a burrow and include the GCS webbed room in the burrow too. That should work?
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:40:47 am »

Ensure that the weaver can path to the webs, that the webs aren't forbidden (Can you forbid webs?). Try blocking access to the cavern for the weaver only while he's in his shop and see if he grabs some GCS webs instead.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 02:18:22 pm »

I believe you can forbid them all through the stock's screen. If you have the record keeper have the records at highest accuracy. It would be under thread.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

kronith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 04:28:34 am »

have you tried to designate your farmed webs for collection yet? D>B>C if i recall correctly.

if thats not the case look around in your (O)ders menu

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 09:07:15 am »

When I lock the dorfs into the "inside" burrow, for say a siege, then the weavers will collect the GCS webs.  If I let them out of the burrow, they head straight back downstairs again.  Clearly the webs are collectable, since they are getting collected under the right circumstances.  I just wish there were a better way than having to burrow my weavers so they will collect the GCS webs.  I guess it's not critical since I can build a burrow that includes the loom and food/drink stockpiles along with my GCS chamber.  I'm just confused as to why the weavers would go so far away to find webs when there is a perfectly good stockpile of them immediately in front of them.  Especially when I've tried to traffic the path into the caverns off.
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 09:18:52 am »

IIRC the dwarves do not consider Z distance when determining what is 'closest' to collect so maybe they're going off to collect webs that are directly below them. They don't care that it is 100 levels down, just that it is 1 tile to the left. Have you tried forbidding all non-GCS webs through the stocks screen?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 11:50:46 am »

IIRC the dwarves do not consider Z distance when determining what is 'closest' to collect so maybe they're going off to collect webs that are directly below them. They don't care that it is 100 levels down, just that it is 1 tile to the left. Have you tried forbidding all non-GCS webs through the stocks screen?

For things like mason's workshops, they do consider z distance. However, grabbing a web that is 10 tiles away is just as likely as grabbing a web that is 10 z-levels below them. Also, dwarves do prefer to do some jobs, like mining, at the lowest upper-left corner (unless this changed in a recent version).

...  Especially when I've tried to traffic the path into the caverns off.

Once they've already decided to go to the caverns, the traffic designation only makes them try harder to find an alternate route to the caverns. They'd rather not walk across the restricted traffic zone, but they will if they have a job on the other side. Also, don't they walk from the meeting hall to the caverns, collect a web, and then return to your loom/stockpile? If that's how they do it (I rarely make clothes), perhaps your meeting hall isn't close enough to your GCS farm.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 12:29:22 pm »

The GCS webs and the loom are no more than 10 tiles apart.  The 2nd cavern level is at least 20 levels below, with a distance more between the nearest webs. I can only guess that there may be a pile of "Collect Webs" jobs already queued up for the underground webs before the "Collect Webs" for the GCS webs takes over.

For the time being I have a weaver in a burrow that includes the floor with the meeting area, food/drink stockpile, some beds and tables, loom and GCS farm.  It's working but dang, what a pain.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 01:20:49 pm »

You could set up a smaller food/booze stockpile which is set to take from the larger one.