Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: when do animals reach maturity?  (Read 923 times)

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
when do animals reach maturity?
« on: August 30, 2011, 11:15:27 pm »

im running a goose farm (for meat / fat / leather / eggs, it seems like a nice combo).  however, whenever my animals claim to reach maturity ("An animal has grown to become a Stray Goose / Gander), they do not actually return what dfwiki claims they should. (meat is sometimes 0-2, and skin isnt always there).  im assuming that the animals are still being butchered as if they were still goslings, how do i know that they are fully matured and should be *ahem* processed?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: when do animals reach maturity?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:19:20 pm »

Check the raws for specifics.  I believe turkey and geese "mature" at 2 years, their max size, while they become breeding adults at 1 year.  I've modded most of my fowl to mature slower, so they reach 'adult' status the same time they reach max size.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:37:22 pm »

Check the raws for specifics.  I believe turkey and geese "mature" at 2 years, their max size, while they become breeding adults at 1 year.  I've modded most of my fowl to mature slower, so they reach 'adult' status the same time they reach max size.

I do that with any animal I decide I'm going to use for livestock, namely dogs. It's jus nicer to know when they are ready to go under the butchers knife instead of guessing at it.

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 11:50:35 pm »

im assuming these are the relevant tags. i think i get it.

Code: [Select]
[CHILD:1][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:gosling:goslings]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:150]
[BODY_SIZE:0:168:2250]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:4500]

one crazy idea i had was to pasture them in a 1x1 with a pressure plate linked to their max size opening the escape door.  once safely sealed in the pasture, set their pasture to be across the escape door. as soon as they reach max size they will be pastured in the processing side of the contraption.  ive never used pressure plates much, is it possible to set them to initiate at 4500?

this stuff always gets more complicated then i originally assumed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 11:59:58 pm »

You cannot pasture according to size, sadly.  Pressure plates can be done, but you worry about size differences then.  Not all creatures of the same species are the same size.  Easiest way is, really, to have some indicator of when they mature, namely changing their CHILD age.  You could also add a visual timer, a tissue layer that turns a certain color when they reach edible age, similar to the way a dwarf's hair turns white with age, a turkey's timer could turn blue at feasting age.  That's more difficult though.