Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Things that Go Bump in the Night (New World of Darkness)  (Read 1020 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Things that Go Bump in the Night (New World of Darkness)
« on: August 27, 2011, 07:17:01 pm »

Hey there, folks.

I'm thatkid, I have a huge interest in occultism, new age beliefs, paganism, mythology, horror, and tabletop games. So, naturally, I want to run a New World of Darkness game (Well, technically I want to play it. But nobody ever runs the game types I like). I have three years of GMing under my belt, and several more years on top of that of GMing for 1-on-1 games and regularly playing. However, this will be my first time as a storyteller for New World of Darkness. Just keep that in mind.

I live in New England (EST/+5GMT), and for the foreseeable future will not be available most weekends, most Fridays, and Wednesdays. I also have classes till 6pm. So if any time other than that doesn't work for you and you're interested in playing, I'm terribly sorry. Generally we'll likely schedule sessions as people are available, aiming for bi-monthly or better frequency.

Anyways, this will be run over an IRC channel, and hopefully someone will get a dicebot set up if I can't figure out how to do it. I'm willing to run a game for 2-6 people. If you are interested, please let me know what sort of chronicle you'd like to play in. My only two rules are: 1. It's modern and 2. You're all mortals.
So, anyone interested?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 08:23:11 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that Go Bump in the Night (New World of Darkness)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 07:37:26 pm »

I wouldn't mind giving this a try. I think I still have a couple days left that don't have games in them. -.-

That said, I'm worried about IRC. I don't really like the program, and I've gotten more and more used to Maptools these days. I don't understand IRC enough, and without that understanding I worry that it leaves my computer open to security issues. Be it malware, viruses, or whatever.

So I need some suggestions on how to get around this. I just don't feel comfortable with downloading and installing mIRC again.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 07:40:11 pm »

I'd use maptools, but nWoD doesn't require a map :P

In any case, IRC is safe. mIRC is just a client, no different than AIM or MSN or anything like that. If you dislike mIRC there are other clients out there; I personally prefer x-chat.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 07:48:34 pm »

I suppose if I have to there are java clients that run in the browser. So I guess I can give it a shot.

Only plot issue for me would again be the modern stuff, but if done properly I don't see why there would be any problem. That and I have no idea about the system, so would be lost for the first few characters probably. (can't be any worse than the D&D stuff I've been dealing with)
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 07:55:30 pm »

Looks intresting according to a quick Wikipedia search, but I have no idea about the game. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 08:13:04 pm »

*Follows Haika to another game*

Yeah, I'm with Yoink. Interesting, but no idea on rules. I'm fine with running MiRc.

But...pretty much only day I could make it is saturday. Everything is else is work or other games.

So, if there are other players can put in more time to it, I'll pass my spot to them.

Edit: Also, who likes my new avatar? Now that I'm in all these tabletop games...flaming D20!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 08:14:38 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 12:15:29 am »

Haika: The game is meant to be played in a modern setting, the rules are built around the idea that things are taking place in an alternate version of our own reality where monsters are real but still unknown to the world due to a variety of reasons.

If you can get your hands on the blue book (the base nWoD book), I highly recommend it. This is a fun game when done right.