Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better name for treated chitin?  (Read 954 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Better name for treated chitin?
« on: August 25, 2011, 06:38:37 pm »

I have tannable chitin in my mod so people can make good use of the giant insects wandering around. Which is cool, but right now it's called 'treated chitin', which means that you get ridiculously long item names like 'giant beetle treated chitin left glove'.

So I'd like to decide on a better name. Problem is, I can't really think of a good one.

The most basic thing to do would be to just call it chitin, I guess, but then you don't know that it's been made ready for use.

Carapace? Hide? What else would be a good single-word term?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Better name for treated chitin?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 09:37:48 pm »

I went with carapace when I added this myself.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 12:50:55 am »

Chiticite, chitoplast, chittychitty bang bang? Erm,, chiten ?Like oaken, something made from oak... or what that be chitinen?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 01:25:35 am »

Just plain and simple "chitin" play geneforge 3 theres a "chitin shield" same with TES: Morrowind has just plain "chitin". Its also what I use in my mod. along with the afore mentioned carapace

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 02:43:19 am »

Naming raw chitin "raw chitin" and treated one just "chitin" sounds good. I plan to fix it in genesis too, otherwise it's too long in material descriptions :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 08:37:28 am »

carapace sounds good to me as well
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 10:45:10 am »

Bugskin

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 10:48:18 am »

Hmm. Raw Chitin and Chitin does seem like a good solution. Think I'll go with that.

Thanks, guys!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 08:27:27 pm »

My mod uses carapace for treated chitin - since that part of the mod is Lofn's Tanning Mod, it's the same in hirs.
くコ:彡

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 09:17:37 pm »

I'd be interested to know how one actually makes chitin usable.  Can I see the raws/have an explanation please?
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 09:24:48 pm »

I'd be interested to know how one actually makes chitin usable.  Can I see the raws/have an explanation please?

Here ya go

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 10:35:11 pm »

Thanks a bunch.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs