Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Razer campaign in favor of pc?  (Read 5237 times)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
Re: Razer campaign in favor of pc?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 09:59:26 am »

Honestly for some strange reason when I hear PC gaming I think of the older classics - Heroes 3, Counter Strike, Quake3/Unreal Tournament, the RPGs of olde and such, but most of these I can play on my damn mid(by now even low)class Motorola Defy smartphone.

The newer games have no chance of running good enough as compared to a notebook, so what does that leave? I'm genuinely baffled.

Guess it could be really good for strategies/rpgs/roguelikes.

The last "mobile gaming platform" that really caught my attention was the Alienware m11x, so if Razer manage to outdo it as it undone the previous netbooks it would be worthy of the hype. Otherwise...
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 11:17:37 am »

I hope its a trackball.  I'd kill for an awesome high-dpi gaming trackball.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 11:27:23 am »

Well unless PC gaming was in Razer's clinic ward and they have managed to regenerate all it's organs with zombie magic, stem cells therapy or what have you, I don't see how this is anything more than a wannabe-viral thing.

On the other hand, they may announce personal Cray supercomputers at $500, along with Dungeon Keeper 3, Alpha Centauri 2, and every other game you want a sequel of, with 4x deeper gameplay, AAA graphics, all DRM-free.

But I kinda doubt it :P

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 02:01:39 pm »

So really, this is it?
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2011/08/26/razer-announces-17in-blade-gaming-laptop/1

A 2800 USD laptop with a 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 2640M CPU, 8GB of 1,333MHz DDR3 memory and a 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 555M ? When I can buy a better performing gaming laptop for half that from XoticPC or Malibal? Sure it looks really pretty, but unless I somehow become a millionaire in the next few months I'm going to just browse pretty pictures of it.

HAY GUYS, HERE, LEMME RESUSCITATE PC GAMING WITH THIS HERE POISONED SPIKED MACE!
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 02:30:51 pm »

1. That price is insane.
2. I flat out refuse to use anything that doesn't have a full numpad and insert/home/pageup/del/end/pagedown, etc.
3. How hot does that thing get? That doesn't say anything about it and I'd expect tons of heat given what they're putting in it and that it's a laptop.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 02:44:03 pm »

Boring.  I was expecting something slightly more interesting than a laptop.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 04:55:09 pm »

Hmm... so this caters to the left-handed gamers with hunt-and-peck typing skills and enormous wallets?

Because I can't honestly see any other reason to put a touch-sensitive area on the right side of the keyboard when any right-handed gamer will be using their right hand for the mouse (or touchpad, if Razer doesn't provide a Razer mouse with this). Unless they expect a 10-button touchpad to replace the mouse as an input device, in which case I'll alternate between laughing hysterically and asking why a company built on mice is abandoning them.

I also can't see any good reason for said touch-sensitive area to have display capabilities when you're expected to be looking at the screen. Just how often do you look down at your keyboard during gaming? Just how often could you look down at your keyboard during gaming? Anyways, given that only a tiny portion of the gaming population will have a Blade, how many developers will spend the time to display something useful down there? The display image shows a game of (what I think is) DotA 2, and the secondary screen is just re-displaying part of the minimap. Oh, goodie, something that's already displayed on the main screen is re-displayed in an incredibly awkward position! Awesome!!

Finally, the whole concept of a gaming laptop is vaguely laughable. 7 pounds of weight isn't horrible and the form factor is small, so it's potentially somewhat portable... but still, how often are you away from home and think "Damn, I really need my Crysis fix, good thing I have a top-of-the-line gaming laptop to play it!" Seriously, $2800 for something that will be obsolete (and un-upgradeable) within three years? When you could spend less than $1000 for an equally-powerful desktop that'll only cost a couple hundred to bring up to speed when new parts come out? Yeah, no.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 05:21:34 pm »

I found an Alienware laptop that has pretty much the same specs for half the price.

...Yeah.

No doubt there's cheaper still for comparable power. But I get a kick out them out-pricing Alienware.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 05:24:53 pm by Lightning4 »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 05:22:44 pm »

I was expecting $2k.

At nearly $3k, you could build a PC that would melt the desk it rests on. Screw that.

Fake ninja'd by above. When Alienware looks reasonable, you know your prices are stupid.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 05:55:11 pm »

Don't really think you thought this out, razer-lads :]

Gaming laptops, even as visually pleasing as this, aren't really that capable of inspiring people. As proven here :)

I still think it's freaking sweet looking piece of equipment, though. Too bad it's about 3 times more expensive than what I'd pay for it.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 06:03:11 pm »

I respect razer to some degree, yeah their stuff is overpriced but there are a handful of honestly high quality products that offer unique advantages. But three grand for a gaming laptop? This helps who, how? Spoiled rich brats that don't respect that level of technology in the first place? Most of the older gaming crowd is (dare I say) too intelligent to fall for shiny overpriced LEDs when you can buy the same thing for less with all the style still intact at Alienware. And everyone knows Alienware is a rip off. Shit, you could even make one monster of a desktop at that price.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 11:41:07 pm »

Well, to be fair, an Optimus Maximus costs rougly 2000$. And it's just a keyboard. (A massive, 5kg keyboard)

The OLED screen under the touchpad is, presumably, not just for show - if it's integrated as a proper control surface, like the lower screen of a DS, then it could be useful.

All that said, there needs to be a killer app for this sort of thing to be successful - some kind of good game that will capitalize on the new control methods available. Before that happens, this laptop's nothing but a waste of perfectly good money.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:45:40 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2011, 12:20:51 am »

Well, to be fair, an Optimus Maximus costs rougly 2000$. And it's just a keyboard. (A massive, 5kg keyboard)

The OLED screen under the touchpad is, presumably, not just for show - if it's integrated as a proper control surface, like the lower screen of a DS, then it could be useful.

All that said, there needs to be a killer app for this sort of thing to be successful - some kind of good game that will capitalize on the new control methods available. Before that happens, this laptop's nothing but a waste of perfectly good money.

It's never going to happen, either. Not unless Razer buys their own studios (Which is not unheard of, gamepad company Mad Catz has started a studio specifically for online flight sim development and is publishing new editions of Rock Band 3 with their instruments this fall). At the end of the day: it's just a PC. An overpriced one that actually rivals Apple in pretentious added cost.

4chan sums it up really well:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:51:25 am by Tilla »
Pages: 1 [2]