Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cistern Circulation  (Read 725 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cistern Circulation
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:25:32 pm »

Is there any reason to attempt to keep water "fresh" in a dug-out cistern using some sort of circulating pump? 

I have a 3 Z-level cistern that is initially loaded from a river, but I think the water gets stagnant eventually since there is no flow in the water once it is there.  Thus an interest in potentially putting in a pump that will at least move water from the bottom or middle layer to the top and churn it a bit.  Better yet would be rigging it with an accompanying waterwheel to make it self-powering; e.g. start it up and leave it running.

Not quite sure what a design for a potentially submerged pump to do this would be, and have not noticed anything here on the forum along those lines.

I prefer digging out cisterns and filling them for security reasons.  A known safe water supply that I can then access from higher up via wells.  And I don't like tapping cavern lakes since they are prone to getting contaminated by FB extract, deadly blood, etc.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cistern Circulation
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 03:31:35 pm »

If your cistern keeps more than one z-level of water in it, there's no need for this.

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cistern Circulation
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 03:43:08 pm »

If your cistern keeps more than one z-level of water in it, there's no need for this.

Recent threads suggest otherwise.  There may be some buggy behavior regarding water and whether or not it's considered stagnant.