Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Runes, Alchemical Symbols, Sans-Serif Fonts, and Colors  (Read 1122 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Runes, Alchemical Symbols, Sans-Serif Fonts, and Colors
« on: August 25, 2011, 08:35:22 pm »

In order to prevent the game from running out of tiles/characters as new things are added (and to help prevent modders from running into this problem), I recommend the following steps:

1.) Expand the number of distinct tiles. The new tiles could be anything, but personally I recommend runes, alchemical symbols, astrological symbols, and/or (since the current default tileset ("curses") uses a serif font) a sans-serif font.

2.) Expand the color palette from 16 to 32 colors
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:37:08 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Runes, Alchemical Symbols, Sans-Serif Fonts, and Colors
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 09:41:18 am »

completely agree,I never undesrtood why 16 colors...
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 10:26:38 pm »

The alchemical/astrological symbol for Mercury could easily be used to represent some kind of humanoid
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 03:39:25 am »

16 colours is easy to fit into 4 bits, but that's not really an issue for DF.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 05:48:53 pm »

I'd say make the option available to use more fonts for text. That will unburden the graphics, so a lot of letters can be converted to icons, in mods. That doesn't mean we can't use more icon slots :).

More important than the number of icons, however, is the ability to change any icon/letter/picture assignment in the raws (eg. small map squares, limbs, separate icons that now have double use, etc.) If it's hard-coded, it doesn't matter how much icons you can draw, because you can't put them in there for that use anyway.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.