Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I found a way to make "random" items...  (Read 581 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
I found a way to make "random" items...
« on: August 26, 2011, 06:39:29 pm »

I made the following reaction:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_CLAY_MECH]
[NAME:make clay mechanisms]
[BUILDING:KILN:CUSTOM_SHIFT_M]
[REAGENT:clay:1:BOULDER:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:FIRED_MAT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TRAPCOMP:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:clay:FIRED_MAT]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:POTTERY]
Notice the problem? Yup, TRAPCOMP should be TRAPPARTS. However, this reaction WORKED, and gave me an -enormous stoneware corkscrew- (I was using fire clay).
If I had to guess, I would guess that not specifying an item subtype causes a random item of that type to be created. I will continue to experiment and encourage others to do so as well!

EDIT: Retitled from BREAKING NEWS! I JUST DISCOVERED SOMETHING THAT MIGHT BE VERY USEFUL! because that title is uninformative and overegotistical.
EDIT2: Test 2 is a -giant stoneware axe blade-.
EDIT3: Test 3 is a menacing stoneware spike.
EDIT4: Test 4 is a +large, serrated stoneware disc+.
EDIT5: Tests 5 is a +giant stoneware axe blade+.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:09:10 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: I found a way to make "random" items...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:19:35 pm »

I was semi-aware of this, after making a few reactions in adventurer to "sharpen" weapons; I ended up getting long swords out of scimitars, sharpened the long sword and got a short sword, etc.

Didn't make much sense to me at all, since I'm pretty sure that's not how it works, but oh well >_>

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 07:32:24 pm »

I'm guessing that that's just one of the nifty built-in fallbacks for when players f**k up their mods.

Oh, and if you were disputing the mechanism behind my failed mechanism-making trapcomp-making reaction, how do YOU think it happened? I'm still coaxing my potter to go back to the kiln, interrupted by RL and stickykeys and such.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:35:42 pm »

I made the following reaction:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_CLAY_MECH]
[NAME:make clay mechanisms]
[BUILDING:KILN:CUSTOM_SHIFT_M]
[REAGENT:clay:1:BOULDER:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:FIRED_MAT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TRAPCOMP:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:clay:FIRED_MAT]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:POTTERY]
Notice the problem? Yup, TRAPCOMP should be TRAPPARTS. However, this reaction WORKED, and gave me an -enormous stoneware corkscrew- (I was using fire clay).
If I had to guess, I would guess that not specifying an item subtype causes a random item of that type to be created. I will continue to experiment and encourage others to do so as well!

EDIT: Retitled from BREAKING NEWS! I JUST DISCOVERED SOMETHING THAT MIGHT BE VERY USEFUL! because that title is uninformative and overegotistical.
EDIT2: Test 2 is a -giant stoneware axe blade-.
EDIT3: Test 3 is a menacing stoneware spike.
EDIT4: Test 4 is a +large, serrated stoneware disc+.
EDIT5: Tests 5 is a +giant stoneware axe blade+.

Yes, if you don't specify a subtype for an itemtype with subtypes you'll get a random item from that item main type.

There's at least one bug that involves something not even looking at an item subtype so you ALWAYS get a random item from the item maintype - with the BUTCHER_SPECIAL tag iirc. Can't find it on mantis bug tracker now, though.