Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I don't get it  (Read 1108 times)

ryan5050

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I don't get it
« on: August 22, 2011, 05:33:27 am »

OK so i start playing Adventure mode and i make a dwarf.
so i start and all i see is humans. Every time i start as any race

Is this a bug or do humans own the world or something because
I'd like to have some dwaven followers

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I don't get it
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 06:38:13 am »

The current version of the game unfortunately has only human settlements enabled :(

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 06:38:36 am »

At the moment, sadly, settlements other than human towns do not exist outside of world generation, atleast without modding. In the next version, I believe, the new cities (which look absolutely amazing) will have some possibility of other races living in them, despite being predominantly human. The only current way to find dwarves in vanilla is if you stumble upon a band of dwarven bandits, which is quite rare.

One fairly simple, if not exacty ideal, fix is to go into the raws, the 'objects' folder, and then open the 'entity_default' file. The first entry there should be called 'MOUNTAIN'. Here are our dwarves!
Scroll down for quite a bit until you find a bit saying '[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:something]', and change it to say '[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CITY]'.
Then make a new world, and dwarves should be living in human-style towns. :) Hope that helps.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 06:46:54 am »

Neat! I did not know it was that easy to mod! Thanks!

ryan5050

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 07:19:32 am »

At the moment, sadly, settlements other than human towns do not exist outside of world generation, atleast without modding. In the next version, I believe, the new cities (which look absolutely amazing) will have some possibility of other races living in them, despite being predominantly human. The only current way to find dwarves in vanilla is if you stumble upon a band of dwarven bandits, which is quite rare.

One fairly simple, if not exacty ideal, fix is to go into the raws, the 'objects' folder, and then open the 'entity_default' file. The first entry there should be called 'MOUNTAIN'. Here are our dwarves!
Scroll down for quite a bit until you find a bit saying '[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:something]', and change it to say '[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CITY]'.
Then make a new world, and dwarves should be living in human-style towns. :) Hope that helps.
Can't Find it in mountain

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 08:38:10 am »

Hmm... Are you sure you scrolled far enough? It's a fair ways down.
If you can't see it, I'll have a look in a little while, just have to do something. I might be wrong or something.
Booze is Life for Yoink

jrmy

• Bay Watcher
  • on break
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 08:50:59 am »

it's there. if it's not there, op, just re-download df.

edit: did you know this post is pointless? originally I was going to correct yoink's post because I thought he said the line was in creature_standard and I only noticed he was actually correct after posting. now I just look silly. aaaaugh.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:01:50 am by jrmy »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 09:09:19 am »

:P Naaah, your avatar makes up for it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 11:03:11 am »

There may be more than just cities next release; Toady's given no indication when he'll let up on features. I think we all assumed it was ONLY going to be the city rewrite this release.  :P

Plus, there are Necromancer towers now, so perhaps Gobbos will get their towers back in vanilla? If not, I'm hoping the Necromancer towers are able to be modded as default city types for custom races and such.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 11:15:10 am »

Play the genesis mod for now, has settlements for a whole lot more races, dwarves included.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 03:47:14 pm »

Huh. I tried adding the [BUILDS_OUTDOOR_FORTIFICATIONS] to the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] section. I found no dwarf castles.