Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flame FB Body Parts ‼Science‼  (Read 1082 times)

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
Flame FB Body Parts ‼Science‼
« on: August 23, 2011, 10:00:57 pm »

I see and use the ‼‼ descriptor on Science a lot where it really doesn't apply, but I think this is one of the times it's appropriate to do so.

So a few seasons ago, I encountered Sosmil, a towering humanoid composed of fire. Beware its thirst for warm blood!(or something, doesn't matter now anyway). Sent one dwarf down to kill it, he did so, and died when the beast exploded, as creatures made of flame are wont to do. All of his flammable stuff burns, and generates smoke for quite some time.

Now things get interesting. Sick of having this cloud of smoke down in the third level access tunnel, I order some walls built around the pile of burning stuff. One of the guys standing in the smoke cloud suddenly develops a severe case of being on fire and promptly melts. This same thing starts happening to everyone who hangs out in the area(only the masons, really).

I take a look, and the walls next to the pile are warm, same as if magma were behind them. Okay.

I space the walls away from the pile and finish them up. In the process, someone sets a rock on the pile, and the smoke abruptly stops. This is likely coincidence, as I checked the pile and there were no more burning items in it. I decide to pour some water on it, to see what happens. Nothing. I drop an alpaca on it. The alpaca is sadly not on fire. I deconstruct everything. Sosmil's flames and body parts are still there, the alpaca is unharmed.

So, what's going on here? Was the smoke itself superheated? Did I somehow "put out" the FB's body parts? Has anyone else done testing with flame FB body parts?

tl;dr: Effing flame body parts, how do they work?
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Flame FB Body Parts ‼Science‼
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 02:30:15 am »

As far as I can tell, dwarves were just exposed to the heat from the burning clothing on the floor. Once the clothing was burnt up or stopped burning, there was no more smoke and no more danger.

As far as I can tell, and also using a quick fire man test in the arena, flame body parts are harmless once a flame creature is dead. The gas released when a flame creature is injured is nasty though.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flame FB Body Parts ‼Science‼
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 04:42:11 am »

I'll corroborate da Vinci's assertion that flame body parts are harmless.  I had a half-dozen flame demons (or something) come up and get punched in half by defending dwarves. After the fires of battle died down, there were demon flames lying all over the place doing no harm whatsoever.  A little disconcerting, given that the projectiles the demons were firing were called exactly the same thing as the harmless body parts...