Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What am I missing?  (Read 2819 times)

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
Re: What am I missing?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 07:09:14 pm »

actually anyone that has played a rogue-like can understand the letters and whatnot perfectly fine, that and the l key lets you 'l'ook at stuff to see just what it is, i for one also like the default settings tho i'd like a more easy to see hole into nothingness type space but i can prolly just do that myself as i'v already edited my tileset slightly anyways, mostly just the @ is now a helm and the dwarfs look like people instead of heads.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 07:39:43 pm »

Now I can understand that you guys prefer default "graphics", maybe because it makes you feel more hardcore or whatever, but saying that it's actually better? I'm sorry but that IS nonsense.
In my experience assuming someone likes "poorer" graphics just because they feel superior or more hardcore is nonscense. Some of the most "hardcore" df players ( see blockedlances) uses a tileset. I play with the old phoebus tilese because I feel it was more detailed than newer versions( You could see the bumps on the goblins forhead), and the phoebus tileset eased me into reading ascii( corpses showed up in ascii).  I prefer to playing with a tileset but I wouldn't call anyone better or worse because I prefer it to the default. Besides playing default has one big adavantage
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also word of thumb to any newbies who want to use default
When in doubt Loo[k] around. ;D.

@The OP many people create goals for their adventurer( Like crafting pants if your an outsider) I also recomend a mod that lets you preform crafting in adventure mode
BattleCraft, Wanderers friend, and Deons Genises mod are good choices.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:43:19 pm by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 10:43:22 pm »

Well you've been ripped apart and killed so you've already got the basics down.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 11:30:07 pm »

I prefer the default graphics over tile sets, but the genesis mod doesnt have a current version in ASCII.
Unless Genesis did something weird, the graphic assignments are separate from the mod itself; you can just copy the objects folder without the graphics folder.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 08:13:08 am »

The Genesis Mod has an ASCII Release for the latest version, you can get it by clicking on one of the Dev's links in the signature. Problem with tilesets (for me) is that when you record a movie and play it, you see moving corpses instead of dwarves/elves/goblins/humans/kitties...

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 12:29:11 pm »

The next update, which is probably less than a few months away, will have tons of stuff to do in Adventure mode.
Lofn's Wanderer's Friend mod has a bunch of cool stuff in adventure mode. I myself use it, and am fiddling around with it before I use it.

RayesKotrora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 04:20:43 am »

The next update, which is probably less than a few months away, will have tons of stuff to do in Adventure mode.
Lofn's Wanderer's Friend mod has a bunch of cool stuff in adventure mode. I myself use it, and am fiddling around with it before I use it.

That is just a crafting mod. It doesn't add any actual content to Adventure Mode.

If you want to make a pair of pants, sure, it's great, but I don't think that's what the Original Poster was looking for.

Och skänk henne dessa vinflaskor in bed henne dricka all sorg ur sitt sinn.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 09:02:01 am »

Oh. Oops. Sorry.
Pages: 1 [2]