Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stockpiles  (Read 387 times)

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
stockpiles
« on: November 04, 2006, 05:28:00 pm »

I've been watching for threads about stockpiles for a couple of days now, and I haven't seen any on the subject that has been bothering me.

Namely, it seems that stockpiles no longer prioritize putting things in barrels and bins if at all possible. Instead, they seem content to pile things up in the stockpile, and only start putting things in bins if it's absolutely necessary.

This isn't a huge deal, but it makes it very difficult to know how much space you really have, since they don't seem to respect the 1 item per square rule when they finally do decide to put bins/barrels in, instead they put a barrel under the item on the square, and don't put the item that was replaced by the bin inside of the bin.

The only workaround I've been able to work out is to grow stockpiles slowly. Which would have been fine before, but now it means that any customized stockpile needs to be resetup each time you grow it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 03:43:00 pm »

They'll put things in the bin/barrel first if there's a bin/barrel assigned to the stockpile that has space left.  If your stockpiles don't have such a bin/barrel, your dwarves will place the objects in the pile.  Once the stockpile is able to grab a new empty bin/barrel, they'll start filling it with objects.  It's important now to keep the number of bins/barrels high enough in advance to avoid extra haul jobs.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!