Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where did all the shopkeepers go?  (Read 852 times)

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
Where did all the shopkeepers go?
« on: August 24, 2011, 02:07:49 pm »

I just started trying out Adventure Mode.  I walked into the capitol of a human civilization and found to my surprise that every single shop was unattended.  All their wares and coins were there, but there wasn't a single shopkeeper in the whole city.  Every house I went into had at least one human in it.  They all talked about endless numbers of people in the city being killed by night creatures, so maybe that had something to do with it.  Its kind of annoying me because naturally I stole everything in the city, and now I have to lug it all off to who-knows-where so I can sell it.

Is this a common occurrence?  Any ideas what happened?
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Where did all the shopkeepers go?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 03:06:24 pm »

I've never actually seen that but if huge numbers of people were killed it stands to reason that a huge number would be missing.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 04:07:45 pm »

I had that once. I just assumed everyone was dead and took all their weapons.
[Signature]

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:49:32 am »

I had that once. I eventually found like one inhabitant in the entire city. If you sleep in the shops holding the equipment, sometimes you sleep-teleport out and aren't considered a thief. It's an odd bug, though, and not necessarily worth it.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]