Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF FPS Performance  (Read 481 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
DF FPS Performance
« on: August 21, 2011, 09:50:23 pm »

Hey ya'll.
Not sure if this is the best place to discuss, but since I'm speaking about fort mode, maybe it is.

I was getting 25 fps with 170 dwarves and a ton of animals. So I disabled temperature and got 20 fps back.
Now, I made some high-traffic designations, and it looks like I gained around 10 fps, which really surprised me.

I also ran cleanmap on dfhack, since a FB spawned in a cave filled with water and drowned in it or something, and the whole place got filled with extract...after running cleanmap, I got 2 fps gain (lol) but HEY, fps is time and time is worth COTTON CANDY!

Anyone wants to add what else they do to raise their fps gain?
I don't like disabling temperature, but 25 fps is too slow for the little time I'll have to play from now on..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF FPS Performance
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:54:45 pm »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:59:27 pm »

I keep my forts small. I rarely sink below 100FPS.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:34:38 pm »

Atomsmash all the useless stuff around the fort, especially all that clothing everyone leaves behind. You can un-own it with DFhack so dwarves can dump it. Keeping down the embark size works wonders, with a 3x3 fort on a ~3 year old computer (albeit one with a very minimal setup) I can get FPS in the hundreds until well into the game.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!