Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: engrave cancels rest  (Read 379 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
engrave cancels rest
« on: November 27, 2007, 09:33:00 am »

I had a wounded woodworker, who healed almost all his wounds neatly except for a yellow right hand. He had been in bed for about half a year. Then I decided to smooth the floor of my barracks.
Doing so resulted in the wounded woodworker getting out of his bed as the floor under him was smoothed. He than started spamming: Udil Kûbukbomrek, woodworker, cancels drink: Resting injury.
He tried to get back to the same bed he came from, did not get far, walked three steps away from it (drinking job again) and so forth.
I found a solution by deconstructing the bed he had been in. Immediatly he went to another bed and continued to rest. I suppose it has something to do with the new code allowing wounded dwarfs to eat and drink when there is no bed, only the strange part in this is that there was a bed (actually plenty of other free beds as well). So somehow engraving under a bed does something weird to flip the wounded dwarf constantly between the old code (resting) and the new (drinking/eating when wounded). When the drinking job is active, he recognises the old bed as valid resting place, when the rest job comes, he no longer sees it. (or any bed at all, or he would rest there instead of trying to drink)

Maybe related: a friend of mine told me yesterday that he moved his mayor to a new quarters (from a small, non-smoothed meager bedroom to a 10x10 smoothed room). He used the same bed (that's why I think it might be related, next to the smoothing) in the new room. However, instead of having a better rated bedroom, in the nobles menu the Mayor still thought of it as 'meager quarters'. So somehow the old bed must have remembered the room rating of its former position.

[ November 27, 2007: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: engrave cancels rest
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 09:54:00 am »

Confirmation: the floor under the next bed my woodworker was resting in was just being engraved and the same happened. Same fix works again. So mind your wounded when smoothing/ engraving. (Maybe any job that causes another dwarf to be in the same spot as the resting dwarf?)

Edit: hmmm. Stranger still. Same happened when he got into a bed that had already been smoothed under (after placement). It seems that the bad is on the part of the bed. Seemingly a bed goes bad when it has been placed on unsmoothed floor which is afterwards smoothed. (The action of smoothing itself or another dwarf occupying the same place seems not to be the issue).

Edit 2: This one was harder to fix: I first had to deconstruct all my beds, wait for the dwarf in question to finish eating (he was spamming eating now instead of drinking because he had just been brought water), and then I built a new (unused) bed on the smoothed floor. Now he's resting safely again. But for how long? I dunno. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479