Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training (and using) Marksdwarves in .31.25  (Read 629 times)

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
Training (and using) Marksdwarves in .31.25
« on: August 22, 2011, 12:53:14 am »

I have had some problem training marksdwarves in .31.25. They never train, and spend nearly all their time in the "Cannot Follow Order" state. I'm not certain what is wrong, so I'm looking for help. I have looked on this forum, and the wiki, but I have not seen any advice that solves my problem. Two things things I've noticed:

* Configuring bolts to train with and fight with doesn't seem to affect this behavior, but I'm not sure. My dwarves will also put quivers that have bolts in them into finished goods stores. I don't think they ever pick them up again. Could this be the problem? More training bolts?
* I'm only assigning archery ranges (one per squad) as a training barracks for my dwarves. Do I need to assign a regular barracks as well?

At this point I'm just telling my dwarves that shooting is what elves do, and they are going along with it.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training (and using) Marksdwarves in .31.25
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:59:15 am »

They need a regular barracks assignment as well since they do some non-archery training as well.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 01:22:30 am »

Assign them only the bolts that you want them to use for training, but set the bolts to both C and T.
i.e Wood Bolts C T
This is because of a bug. They reload ammo faster if it is combat-enabled.

You need one archery range assigned per squad member, and each archery range contains 1 archery target. All are enabled for the same squad.

You need one regular barracks set to train for the entire squad, so they have somewhere to go for training classes.

I am currently training marksdwarves this way at my arctic fort in 31.25, and it is working.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 01:30:18 am »

They need a regular barracks assignment as well since they do some non-archery training as well.
I question that. I had two squads and two separate "barracks". One of them had weapon racks and armor stands, the other had archery targets (and no weapon racks, armor stands, or even coffers or cabinets). I made the archery targets, designated each one as a room assigned for the training of my marksdwarf squad, and set an appropriate firing direction; and I made a lot of wooden bolts, to be stored in the adjacent ammunition stockpile. The other barracks was only used for the training of my axedwarves. My marksdwarves were in fact seen target-shooting.

Since you mention assigning ammo, you presumably have plenty of it. I'm not sure what to make of the abandoned quivers, but I think that when shooting at an archery range, dwarves do not shoot from their quivers, but drag a pile of bolts with them. (Their quivers are for combat-ready bolts that they will take with them.) This may get more complicated if combat and training bolts overlap, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them hauling bolts.

Check your archery range. Make sure that all the targets are made into rooms (not just one) and assigned to the marksdwarves, and that the firing directions leave enough room. While I'm not 100% definite on the carried-vs-quiver'd bolts, I'm very certain that I didn't need to assign my marksdwarves a standard barracks in addition to the ranges. You say you assign "one per squad", which makes me think that they may want to train, but someone's already using the assigned range, so they can't. Are you sure, thus, that there are absolutely none of them training at the range? (See UdV's comment about having one range per squad member.)

And what kind of bolts are in the quivers, anyway? Are they training-suitable, or combat-suitable but not allowed for training, or something else entirely?

I'm sorry I can't be more definite, but I struggle to get a military equipped before the fort gets overrun, so I rarely have time to play with the military in detail.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.