Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: superDig  (Read 886 times)

andy_t_roo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
superDig
« on: August 22, 2011, 06:22:52 pm »

Hello,
I find myself in 2 different situations repeatedly pulling up dd to designate another few squares to dig.
I propose a super-dig option (d D) which operates in one of 2 ways:

1) mineral superDig : after mining a square with super-dig, any adjacent squares (which are not hot/wet?) which are of the same mineral type as what was just dug gain super-dig (net effect all connected squares of the same mineral will be mined)

2) unsafe superDig : hollowing out a chamber 1 square above/below magma/water is quite anoying ; i "know" its safe, and it would be useful to just tell the dwarves to dig this, and ignore hot/wet designation.

Both these, if miss-used have potential to cause FUN.

Andrew
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Hell if I know.  Pretty humourous suggestion, but utterly useless in the case of roleplaying, if indeed the whole game world was one whole huge ass field of fruit.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: superDig
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 07:12:02 pm »

Your first suggestion has been suggested many times. Indeed, I believe it may be in the top 10 in the Eternal Suggestions thread, at the top of the suggestions forum (Edit: yeah, it's #7 on the eternal suggestions list). So, at the very least, it is on Toady's "to do at some point" list. I agree with you that it would be nice. Maybe (hopefully) sometime soonish we'll see it! :)

Your second suggestion is already semi possible—go to data/init/announcements and remove the last two letters of the lines talking about damp stone and warm stone designation cancellations so that they read "[DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D] [DIG_CANCEL_DAMP:A_D:D_D]"

See here for details: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Digging_designation_canceled
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:14:33 pm by Sunday »

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: superDig
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 04:52:20 pm »

DFHack has a utility called dvdig which designates entire veins of minerals for mining.