Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this a cave or a cavern?  (Read 1355 times)

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is this a cave or a cavern?
« on: August 23, 2011, 02:31:55 am »

What does a cave area look like? I started an embark and it seems as if it's a cavern layer except it's cut in the middle. Most of the embark opens directly into what looks like half a cavern.

There's also a 20z level roughly 40 square wide circular shaft that extends down into the next cavern. The map is exposed down to level 95 straight off the embark level (140). :P I'm guessing since I see surface plants down to level 125 this is just a normal cave structure and the level below with all the underground plants is cavern layer 1...?

How do I find my embark location so I can try this area with a group that is a little prepared. The export says 251-380 but I'm not sure how that maps to coordinates in the embark screen (I'm guessing those are coordinates).

Seems like a fun map. Not fun in that way... although, it might be fun in that way too.

Edit: also might need to shrink the embark size. I get a whopping 30 fps straight off the bat. -_-

Spoiler: World Gen Info (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:43:42 am by eastc »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a cave or a cavern?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 02:35:38 am »

Save. That. World.

I want to try that...

I guess it's an exposed cavern.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:50:40 am »

Hm... and there are apparently 2 squares that extend from the surface all the way down to the water down in lvl 95. Good place for a well.... Nothing could go wrong w/ two levels of cavern exposed to the world at embark. :)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:51:53 am »

Hm... and there are apparently 2 squares that extend from the surface all the way down to the water down in lvl 95. Good place for a well.... Nothing could go wrong w/ two levels of cavern exposed to the world at embark. :)

I've always wanted to play an Abyss game... I want I want I want!
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 04:37:42 am »

Basically, you've run into a fun and seemingly random glitch in world generation that makes some worlds incredibly fucked up on embark. Genning the world again will get you a normal world, as the glitch isn't possible to reproduce (unless you had about twelve thousand computers genning the same world over and over again, and even that might take you a long time). You are very lucky indeed.

Also, a 95 z-level well means that it will take forever to actually get the water.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 04:48:21 am »

I'm not sure how rare it is, but quite so, I think. That's why... Save it, share it. I want!

But isn't there some way to create fucked up worlds? Duplicate raws or something?

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 06:45:10 am »

Dupe raws just cause stuff like being able to embark with a civ of hydras who are at war with dragons and so on. This looks like a worldgen error though, but a better-off one than those where the map is littered with eerie pits and usually with an insanely tall adamantine spire.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 06:51:02 am »

Dupe raws just cause stuff like being able to embark with a civ of hydras who are at war with dragons and so on. This looks like a worldgen error though, but a better-off one than those where the map is littered with eerie pits and usually with an insanely tall adamantine spire.

Huh, tamer than I expected. I was under the impression that duplicate raws cause the game to be replaced with a version from a Chaotic alternative Universe...

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 10:38:21 am »

Any suggestions on where to upload the save? I copied the save dir before I set off on the embark.

Also, a 95 z-level well means that it will take forever to actually get the water.
I didn't know z-levels incurred time to get water. Here I thought wells just magically got water instantly regardless of depth so long as it's first square beneath it was "water" instead of anything other than air.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 10:45:42 am »

I didn't know z-levels incurred time to get water. Here I thought wells just magically got water instantly regardless of depth so long as it's first square beneath it was "water" instead of anything other than air.

Nah, the longer the shaft, the longer they fetch the water.

You can actually see the rope extended from well to water if you pause the game in right moment. Hell, that rope has even color appropriate to material/dye. There must be at least 1 level between well and water for this to work, though.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:47:44 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 02:15:19 pm »

Save please?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 02:23:57 pm »

It is a special kind of cavern known as "Buggy and caused by generating several worlds back-to-back." Similar problems have even opened up surface circus!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Leonance

• Bay Watcher
  • Moltar shows us how dwarves solve all problems.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 04:55:55 pm »

I'm not sure how rare it is, but quite so, I think. That's why... Save it, share it. I want!

But isn't there some way to create fucked up worlds? Duplicate raws or something?

Best way I know of making messed up worlds is to run DF Reveal from DF hack while genning the world. Causes SMR to be on the surface and all sorts of computer hates you scenarios.

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 11:35:16 pm »

Yeah, I don't have dfhack installed. This is modless. I tried a tileset. Hated it. Then tried to uninstall. Couldn't figure it out. Then created a new DF dir and am playing out of that wondering how to get my saves from the other DF.

Anyway, that's aside from the point. :)

Janus, if you read this. Thank you for DFFD.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4878

Here is the world save. Let me know what you guys enjoy it (and if it works).