Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McSalty cancels Fish: Interrupted by Carp.  (Read 1727 times)

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
Urist McSalty cancels Fish: Interrupted by Carp.
« on: August 20, 2011, 12:17:52 am »

After too much savescumming trying to learn the changes in .25 I realized I wasn't having any fun, so I re-gen'd and re-embarked. Almost immediately I realized I had miscalculated on my provisions. Were I to get some large migrant waves I might run out of food. The climate was warm, and the stream (I can never go back to brooks) looked to be teeming with fish. I decided I could spare my weaponsmith and armorsmith to spend a season fishing.

Urist McSalty cancels Fish: Interrupted by Carp.

Ugh! I rapidly progressed through the five stages of Dwarf Fortress.

1. Denial

Ok. Carp. Not a problem. Urist McMason and Urist McMechanic keep doing what you are doing. I need those traps and I have a feeling some mastercrafted statues might come in handy in the future. If you hear some screams, ignore them. On an unrelated note I am removing burial duties from you both for no reason at all. Lets keep at it people!

2. Anger

Fucking CARP!? I spent TWO HOURS carefully locating and tailoring this embark. I didn't even bring any weapons or tools because I wanted to save on the embark points. My dwarves were going to smelt and craft everything they needed. Now my dwarves are going to be chased all around the map before they can even craft a pick. SON OF A DIDDLY!

3. Bargaining

Okay, maybe if I make some burrows, assign some wardogs and creatively pen my chickens I can hold them off until I get a pick made and my dwarves can seal themselves underground. Armok, if you get me through this I will never embark with any kind of fish ever again.

4. Depression

I suck at this game. I will never get anyone to build my megastructure. Armok, forget what I said about the fish, just strike me down now.

5. Acceptance

Alright, I've been told this sort of thing is fun, so lets have at it.

Wait, why don't I see blood everywhere? No one is dying. Oh, it looks like carp don't leave the river anymore.

I quickly grew tired of this embark, I'm currently rerolling.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McSalty cancels Fish: Interrupted by Carp.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 12:56:13 am »

Wait, when did carp leave the river? I have been playing Dwarf Fortress since 2009 and never once have I seen a carp leave the river and go chase my dwarves. Somehow I think I missed that boat.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 01:20:02 am »

Undead creatures are amphibious. Most stories of carp attacks are from either skeletal carp (back when skeletal enemies were scary) or from dwarves dodging into the water and drowning.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 01:35:47 am »

Carp on land? I believe you mean 'Elephants'.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 02:27:05 am »

Or unicorns.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 02:39:55 am »

Carp on land? I believe you mean 'Elephants'.
or unicorns nowadays

edit; what i get for leaving the thread open and then posting
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 07:09:14 am »

I've yet to notice unicorns and elephants never done me no harm, but while giant badgers are more likely to attack they just sort of maul at you. Giant capybara on the other hand can take off Dwarfen limbs with one bit and a shake.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 08:31:58 am »

Or capybaras.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 09:40:28 am »

Living carp have never been capable of leaving the water, but back in 40d carp had an unrealistically strong bite attack which could tear off chunks (and even limbs); in 0.31, carp bites are mostly harmless, but they can still cause your fisherdwarves to dodge into the water and drown.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mintaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 09:51:11 am »

I've yet to notice unicorns and elephants never done me no harm, but while giant badgers are more likely to attack they just sort of maul at you. Giant capybara on the other hand can take off Dwarfen limbs with one bit and a shake.
Giant capybaras are indeed horrifying.  Four members of my military are missing an arm because of them, and that's just the ones that survived.  Unicorns don't generally attack, but if you end up with unicorns and dwarves in an enclosed space (like I did due to a cage accident) they will stab very impressively with that horn.  Few things are sadder than a toddler killed by a unicorn.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 04:21:32 pm »

Giant capybara on the other hand can take off Dwarfen limbs with one bit and a shake.

I'd managed to avoid those amphibious fiends until my current fort; I keep losing bears to them.